Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

choosing a seiko

Options
  • 06-03-2015 5:45pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭

First time on here, thinking of buying either a seiko skx007 or 009, trouble is I'm farming and haven't worn a watch for over 10 years. Will either of these stand up to a pretty harsh environment? Which strap would be best?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

The 007 and 009 are almost identical in terms of construction, they'll both take quite a bit of a beating sand will survive just fine in harsh environments. Go with whichever you prefer the look of. While many would argue that a metal bracelet looks better, I reckon sticking with the standard rubber strap might the best approach given your requirements. Great choice by the way, its difficult to match the quality and construction of the skx00x for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I can't take mine off of my wrist. The stock jubilee bracelet is ultra comfy, has loads of microadjustmemts and I think it also looks nice. the bracelet gets a bad rep because it is light but in my book that's a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Apart from bezel colour , its the same watch. The crystal is only hardlex and will scratch if knocked against something sharp.Personally I don't like the rubber strap , I find it too hard but each to their own.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks for your replies, might go for a used one, if a cow smashes it, then it won't be such a big loss. How big a gamble is a used one? Looking at a few in the EU, or would I be better going to somewhere like creation for a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

There was a link to a store on Rakutan where someone bought one new recently for cheap. Can't find it right now but might be worthwhile investigating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

There was a link to a store on Rakutan where someone bought one new recently for cheap. Can't find it right now but might be worthwhile investigating.

I recently bought mine from Rakuten, link below. Tip: choose EMS as the shipping method to reduce the chances of having to pay extra at the doorstep. At this price, I'd be inclined to buy new unless you can get a really good deal on a second hand one.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/seiko3s/item/skx007k/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I recently bought mine from Rakuten, link below. Tip: choose EMS as the shipping method to reduce the chances of having to pay extra at the doorstep. At this price, I'd be inclined to buy new unless you can get a really good deal on a second hand one.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/seiko3s/item/skx007k/

Thats a great price FI

Thanks everyone for advice, went for an SKA371 kinetic on a rubber strap, just under €200 incl. delivery, not new though. I hope this isn't the start of an obsession!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

LorMal wrote: »
    Thats a great price FI

Indeed. I can't believe that they're selling the SARB017 for £210/€290 - this is going to torture me for the next week.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/seiko3s/item/sarb017/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Indeed. I can't believe that they're selling the SARB017 for £210/€290 - this is going to torture me for the next week.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/seiko3s/item/sarb017/

Wow - that's gorgeous. Thanks for sharing CB (damn you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

I now have a drop down 'watch list' on ebay:eek: Also every time I come on here amazon Italy is advertising a seiko at the top of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

scwazrh wrote: »
    Apart from bezel colour , its the same watch. The crystal is only hardlex and will scratch if knocked against something sharp.Personally I don't like the rubber strap , I find it too hard but each to their own.

Technically correct, but not the full story ( im not a fan of the usage of "only" in the above sentence!).
    Sapphire is much more resistant to scratching but conversely much more prone to outright cracking and/or shattering.

Hardex which is more flexible will scratch a bit easier than sapphire but will survive impacts that would crack or shatter a sapphire.

Sapphire is roughly 9 on the moh's scale.
    Hardex is 7.

For a very rough idea of scale, tempered glass in a car windscreen is usually about 6.5

(scale is not linear, with gaps having variable sizes between them:

"For instance, the progression from calcite to fluorite (from 3 to 4 on the Mohs scale) reflects an increase in hardness of approximately 25 percent; the progression from corundum to diamond, on the other hand (9 to 10 on the Mohs scale), reflects a hardness increase of more than 300 percent."

http://geology.com/minerals/mohs-hardness-scale.shtml)

Obligatory wrist shot before the cow sh1t sticks to it:o

Can I still be cured? Seiko 7002-7000 is on it's way. Didn't want to ^^ put cowsh1te on this, is my excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭amacca

blue5000 wrote: »
    Can I still be cured? Seiko 7002-7000 is on it's way. Didn't want to ^^ put cowsh1te on this, is my excuse

No, unfortunately its all over for you Blue. You could put some money into therapy but you'd be better off putting it into another watch tbh.

7002 arrived today, OH met the post man and signed for it, says she would have spotted the difference. Now wants to 'borrow' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

;)....it's a slippery slope....!

blindsider wrote: »
    ;)....it's a slippery slope....!
    Indeed it is.
    She doesn't know yet about the 4 (spares/repairs) seiko '5's on the way for a bit of modding practice :(

At least the 7002 is gone off on her wrist, and when she asked 'You are not buying anymore watches?' earlier today, I said 'no' and technically I wasn't lying because the spares/repairs were already bought yesterday. PM me if anybody needs a few 7s26 spare parts next week......

Advertisement