Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britains Benefits Crackdown

Options
  • 06-03-2015 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭

This is a massive area of expenditure, that is being massively scrutinised in britain (and has been for several years), both with massive public backing and also from some of the political parties... Yet its a taboo subject here, I was looking through FG 2011 election manifesto, an 80 page document, welfare gets less than a page (page 69),no cuts to contributory or non contributory oap, working age payments to carers, the blind and the disabled.

The below link came on late last night and I watched it, 27 minutes long, take a look and it puts things into perspective here ( I think they are far too lax and generous here, but over there, possibly going a bit too much the other way) with the "savage austerity" my dad is German and I believe they have an even tougher system than the uk to put things into perspective!

immediately before this programme, there was one on the NHS crisis and the shortage of funding and how they decided who should be treated and some heart breaking stories, makes you think that if a few fall between the gaps on welfare, the huge number that benefit from the cuts in welfare due to redistribution somewhere else, and many would deem more worthy, is simply the best option in an imperfect system...

http://tui.revolutionaries.ie/download/pdf/fine_gael_manifesto.pdf

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/on-demand/59670-004

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Good for them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

A slimline veiled dole thread pretending not to be another dole thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there is absolutely no discussion on this here from the political parties, yet it seems to be one of the big talking point in uk politics, I deem it worthy of discussion. Do politicians here not deem €20,000,000,000 a year plus the interest, worthy of discussion.

We hear there isnt enough money for the HSE, housing, infrastructure etc. Is the welfare system fit for purpose? Its a joke here in my mind, based on comparisons between my gf who is English and dad who is German, its off the wall over here and we are the "broke" ones LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Taboo subject here really, things like medical cards became a huge headache for Fine Gael when they tried to reign the expenditure in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Shower a' bastards, Ted. I wouldn't expect any better from heathen, crown-worshippin' Sasenachs. In fact, if there's a shower worse than the Black-and-Tans it's that shower over in... oh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Will there be any cracking down on the benefits given to the residents of Buckingham Palace I wonder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Idbatterim wrote: »
    there is absolutely no discussion on this here from the political parties, yet it seems to be one of the big talking point in uk politics, I deem it worthy of discussion. Do politicians here not deem €20,000,000,000 a year plus the interest, worthy of discussion.

We hear there isnt enough money for the HSE, housing, infrastructure etc. Is the welfare system fit for purpose? Its a joke here in my mind, based on comparisons between my gf who is English and dad who is German, its off the wall over here and we are the "broke" ones LOL!

I agree with everything you say but on AH, all threads relating to social welfare end up the same. With the best of intentions they all become just 'another dole thread'. It's just the way things go.

A bit like asking people if they like dogs. Sooner or later someone will mention cats, even if you didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Kevin Spacey is cracking down on benefits in imaginary America at the moment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Already done here, they saved hardly anything. But they did find people within the system defrauding it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They keep punishing the poor over here while allowing massive multinationals to go about their business without paying tax. It's ridiculous.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Massive massively massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Kevin Spacey is cracking down on benefits in imaginary America at the moment too.

SPOILERS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Don't we usually do these dole bashing threads on a Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Why do you think its a taboo subject here, on AH it does tend to be full of anecdotes about the neighbour's or some woman they work with whose husband is bla bla.

From July on Loan parents payment benefits is being stopped for anyone with a child over seven, they will be transferred to job seekers allowance with an expectation they are seeking work.

Its often a case of using a sledge hammer to crack a nut, benefit crack downs tends not to save very much money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

It's Friday & some are cracking up at the thought of those dole cheats and the hundreds of euro they get for free being spent on cocaine & champers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why do you think its a taboo subject here, on AH it does tend to be full of anecdotes about the neighbour's or some woman they work with whose husband is bla bla.

From July on Loan parents payment benefits is being stopped for anyone with a child over seven, they will be transferred to job seekers allowance with an expectation they are seeking work.

Its often a case of using a sledge hammer to crack a nut, benefit crack downs tends not to save very much money.

Lone parents being transferred to JSAT with a child under 14 are not expected to be available for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Benefits Crackdown? Is that that chap from Sherlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have looked at citizens information and it does not say anything about that, I am not saying your not right but its would be pointless to change form one parent family benefit to job seekers allowance if there is not an expectation to find work.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lapin wrote: »

Dole thread lite?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I do see that as a good move in fairness , but what happens if you have a loan parent who's other parent is a waster and won't help out with childcare and the likes ?
    You need to have a system in place that deals with this situation properly before you can cut off those in that situatio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I remember when they said they were bringing in strict sickness and disability tests last year in the uk and something like 800,000 suddenly decided they were suddenly fit for work again just as the measures were coming on line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

WE NEED TO GIVE MORE DOLE TO PEOPLE LIKE TAHT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

I have looked at citizens information and it does not say anything about that, I am not saying your not right but its would be pointless to change form one parent family benefit to job seekers allowance if there is not an expectation to find work.

Its quite clear here in this document under the section RULES. Lone parents of children under 14 are not expected to be available for work.

Rules

You must have been getting a One-Parent Family Payment during the 3 years before you make your claim for JST or have previously been getting JST.

The rules that apply to Jobseeker’s Allowance (JA) and JST are very similar.

The means test is similar and the maximum weekly rate of payment is the same. Income from work is assessed with a €20 earnings disregard per day of employment (up to a maximum of €60 per week). Any earnings above that are assessed at 60%.

The main differences between JA and JST are:

You do not have to be available for and genuinely seeking full-time work. This is to allow you to meet your caring responsibilities when you have young children. There are childcare supports available if you do find work.
    You do not have to be fully unemployed for 4 out of 7 days. This means that you could work part-time for 5 days and still receive a payment (subject to the means test). This would allow you to work mornings only while your children are in school.
    You cannot cohabit with another person while you are getting JST. You must continue to parent alone.
    While you are getting JST you must sign a quarterly declaration to confirm that you are still entitled to JST.

You must always declare any change in your circumstances including a change in your living arrangement or means which might affect your entitlement to JST. If you were getting a Fuel Allowance with your OFP you can keep this when you go onto JST.

Conditions for getting JST
    You must satisfy the JA means test.

To be eligible for JST you must also be habitually resident in Ireland, you must not be cohabiting and you must be capable of work. When your youngest child reaches 14 years of age, the normal Jobseeker Allowance conditions will apply to you.

You must participate in employment activation measures while you are getting JST. Your case officer will develop a personal development plan with you which will identify suitable education, training and employment schemes to help you back into the workplace. You must participate in recommended courses of education, training or employment programmes. If you don’t participate you may be paid a lower amount of JST (a penalty rate) and you may be disqualified from your JST payment for a period of time.

Rates

Jobseeker's Allowance transitional arrangement
    Maximum personal rate

Increase for a qualified child

€188 €29.80
    How to apply

You apply for the Jobseeker’s Allowance transitional arrangement using the JST1 form. You can also get an application form from your Intreo centre or social welfare local office.

You can get help with filling in your application form at your Intreo centre, social welfare local office or nearest Citizens Information Centre.

If you think you have been wrongly refused Jobseeker's Allowance you can appeal the decision to the Social Welfare Appeals Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Birneybau wrote: »
    SPOILERS!

Sorry. I presumed everyone had seen The Usual Suspects by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Didn't you get the memo?
    We decided Friday was a better day all round to take out our frustrations on the people on the lowest rung of the social ladder.
    Kicks starts the enjoyment of our weekend drinkies and nice meals out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Never received a cent off the state and probably never will but if somebody is happy to live on a few hundred a week and all that comes with living on fcuk all day to day week to week then let them at it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Theres plenty of scroungers fleecing the system over here :mad:

There should be financial rewards given to those who rat out the social welfare cheats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The below link came on late last night and I watched it, 27 minutes long, take a look and it puts things into perspective here ( I think they are far too lax and generous here, but over there, possibly going a bit too much the other way) with the "savage austerity" my dad is German and I believe they have an even tougher system than the uk to put things into perspective!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/on-demand/59670-004

A mixed bag. The guy with the fused hip has been screwed over. Poor guy. Are they realy going to evict him over a miserable 136 pounds?

The girl at the end, meh not so much. She isnt job seeking, seems to be living on her own and I heard zero comments about support from the father

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I tell ya what scrap welfare all over the world just as an experiment and see what happens cause I know what will happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement