Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Engineer Attic price ?

Options
  • 06-03-2015 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi I'm looking to get a rough price for a structural design of an attic conversion .
    The house is a standard 4 bed semi-detach with prefab roof trusses.

All I require are the drawings (steel size and position, Timber sizes and position )
    To ensure the structure is sound and that I'm covered in the event of selling the house.

I want to bring all structural elements through the stira hatch to begin with so there will be minimum disruption to the house. So all steel elements will be limited to around 3m lengths.

No site visits will be required, as I will supply all measurements and photos.

Again I just want Drawings and a competitive price !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

mickell wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking to get a rough price for a structural design of an attic conversion .

All I require are the drawings (steel size and position, Timber sizes and position )
    To ensure the structure is sound and that I'm covered in the event of selling the house.

I want to bring all structural elements through the stira hatch to begin with so there will be minimum disruption to the house. So all steel elements will be limited to around 3m lengths.

Limited to 3m, impossible or You have to join them with bolts, expensive!!!
    I don't know who will sign on any job by watching photos - not professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mickell

Limited to 3m, impossible or You have to join them with bolts, expensive!!!
    I don't know who will sign on any job by watching photos - not professional.
    Let me reassure anyone looking at the original question , I have over 10 experience in construction as a carpenter , I am fully aware the steel will need to be plated and bolted . It's not impossible ! ( no offense ) . I would stay in close contact with whom ever agrees to design via email and phone and will fully document and photo work being carried out .

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Let me reassure anyone looking at the original question , I have over 10 experience in construction as a carpenter , I am fully aware the steel will need to be plated and bolted . It's not impossible ! ( no offense ) . I would stay in close contact with whom ever agrees to design via email and phone and will fully document and photo work being carried out .
    I have 16 years exp., but did You have knowledge of building mechanics, structure calculations?
    I believe that You are good as a carpenter, but as I sad, it will work out expensive to make RSJ from separate sections and takes more time to fit them.
    And I will never sing on picture without seeing the site it self.
    We fit two section beams, but still ceiling under the attic has to be cut, to get them in, if You don't like to do it from the outside.

I have 16 years exp., but did You have knowledge of building mechanics, structure calculations?
    I believe that You are good as a carpenter, but as I sad, it will work out expensive to make RSJ from separate sections and takes more time to fit them.
    And I will never sing on picture without seeing the site it self.
    We fit two section beams, but still ceiling under the attic has to be cut, to get them in, if You don't like to do it from the outside.
    Actually I have spent time in a structural & civil engineering office , I understand about loads and creating moments/points of instability . And I completely understand how some engineers would be reluctant to sign off on a job they never visit , but I'm not gonna but the structure of my roof at risk just for the sake of trying catch out the engineer ! I do appreciate your comments , any idea what kinda amount I could be charged for the engineers services , thanks again !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Ring some local engineers and try to get 3 prices to compare. You may have better luck convincing them of your approach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Actually I have spent time in a structural & civil engineering office , I understand about loads and creating moments/points of instability . And I completely understand how some engineers would be reluctant to sign off on a job they never visit , but I'm not gonna but the structure of my roof at risk just for the sake of trying catch out the engineer ! I do appreciate your comments , any idea what kinda amount I could be charged for the engineers services , thanks again !

I don't care how many years you have spent doing this or that, any engineer worth their salt will want to see the site. If I was still in private practice I most certainly would. But in saying that :

Initial survey.
    Drawings prepared.
    Site inspections.
    Certification.

Under 1k from my experience. (Dublin based Consulting Engineers)
    PM me if you want their details.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Finished one last week Steel cost 650.00 euro including plates and bolts engineer cost 550.00 euro to sign off

650gs wrote: »
    Finished one last week Steel cost 650.00 euro including plates and bolts engineer cost 550.00 euro to sign off

Do you mind me asking , was it the same type of house ? 4 bed semi- de with pre-fab trusses ? If so did u split the be into sections ?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Yep

650gs wrote: »
    Yep

Cheers,

Chancing my arm here, but did manage to get all the structural elements in place by bring them up through the attic hatch or did you have make an opening in the roof or gable wall ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement