Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pest control - who is responsible?

Options
  • 06-03-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

who is responsible for pest control landlord or tenant?
    tenant in place over 1 year

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I think it depends on the pest and level of infestation and is more qualitative than quantitative. I've often seen here that rats would be the landlord's responsibility but if you have mice because of food left around the place I'd expect that's the tenant's issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I think it depends on the pest and level of infestation and is more qualitative than quantitative. I've often seen here that rats would be the landlord's responsibility but if you have mice because of food left around the place I'd expect that's the tenant's issue.

so it depends on the pest ? From what I understand there is no ruling on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,362 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It depends on why there is a pest ? If it tenant is leaving the place a mess then the land lord is not responsible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I haven't seen anything official on it but some posters here have sworn that the landlord needs to deal with rats. Sometimes it's on health and safety grounds.

Similarly if pests are getting in due to structural degradation, it would also be the landlord's responsibility.

Mice are a fact of life, especially in older buildings. I've caught two in the traps this winter and a couple last year as well. I wouldn't dream of contacting a landlord for mice.

Advertisement