Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find owner of abandoned / unused property?

Options
  • 06-03-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Theres a huge amount of sites or buildings in Dublin city centre which have remained unused or abandoned for years.
    Is there any way to find out who owns them?
    I would like to offer to buy one so I could build a house there.

(boards wont let me post link for some reason, remove spaces for it to work)

ht tps://ww w.goo gle.co m/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zBV1ZXSbw8o8.kZQPnROzMgCU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Start here:

www.prai.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

And have a gander at a Thoms Directory as well. It lists the registered owners of property street by street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    And have a gander at a Thoms Directory as well. It lists the registered owners of property street by street.

It doesnt. Its the electoral register by address. Often the best way to tell if a property is rented, is a quick look at the thoms directionary, as few rented house will having individuals voting in them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When we introduced the LPT, it became very obvious that the government has little to no idea who owned what.

I doubt its has improved much since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

hfallada wrote: »
    Often the best way to tell if a property is rented, is a quick look at the thoms directionary, as few rented house will having individuals voting in them

Eh? How does that work? Why don't people in rentals register to vote????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I would imagine that a large proportion use their familial address rather. I do anyhow despite being in the same property for the last five years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

As Balmed Out said, they are registered at parents address, or they are transient, or due to the demographic are less likely to register and vote anyway. Its one of the reasons they have such little lobbying power.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I would imagine that a large proportion use their familial address rather. I do anyhow despite being in the same property for the last five years

+1 on that, the majority of people keep their vote at home as they want to vote in their home area (I'd fall into this bracket) or simply don't care about voting so don't change where they are registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

It's not very systematic and definitely would have a better chance of working down the country, but you should try asking the neighbours who owns it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

With the lack of a properly regulated rental market where people could settle into very long term rentals (10+ years), it makes sense to keep the electoral register address at an address that won't change regularly rather than a rental address.

• Advertisement
Advertisement