Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RC Quadcopter.. Getting started

• 06-03-2015 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get into RC quadcopters. I want to spend a little bit of money and see if I like it first etc...

I would love to get into the FPV 250 size quads, zipping around forests racing other quads sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

But for the moment, something that can carry a GoPro 3, and wont break the bank would be great. I was looking at the DJI phantom V1.1.1 going for about €430 at radiocontrolledshop.ie. Any other suggestions? (I would prefer to build it, as thats half the fun).

I live in Westport Co.Mayo. Its windy here 364 days a year.. am I wasting my time trying to get into RC flying?

Thanks,
    Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

A great intro to Multi-rotors is to build yourself one of these:

very easy to build and they fly great with a KK board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCPMC_fiSMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6K4NXoq-Qk

I since bought a quad kit but I still prefer my scratch built tricopter.
    I've flown it in gale force winds without a bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

how much would the kit cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

Ok,

As a new RC flyer you are best to look at building and learning to fly on a 250 quad.

1 - cheap
    2 - fun
    3 - Take some abuse before need fix them
    4 - once can fly them you can fly anything
    5 - cheap to repair

FPV Copters Ireland can supply a 250 kit ready to fly or build it your self

A complete package for a 250 quad would be €270 with a ready to fly option where we build and tune it (€70 extra).

This kit includes everything you need to get flying all you need is a soldering iron, few free hours and get building.

For gopro frame we also have a mini tricopter in stock, its slightly bigger than a 250 racer but can easily carry go pro and folds up nice and tidy.

There are many options for this frame depending on motor setup and extras like GPS, 433 telemetry for "follow me" features etc.

Price for kit would starting at €230 and then you can add transmitter, 433 telemetry and upgrade to a full gps enable board.

So you could get 2 frames for price of DJI, one for racing one for your go pro.

We have pics of these frame on our Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/fpvcopters?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Any questions please ask will try help as much as I can

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

any idea what I can get for around 400euro want a control that lets me see the camera view and decent enough to use outdoors with good range and battery life. dont want a toy or professional drone that costs a fortune,,also where do I buy from that gives me the best value for money as the irish sites seem very expensive compared to amazon etc. thanks ps would prefer to buy ready to fly with camera straight out of the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I recommend having a chat with John above ^^. He took the time to talk me through a lot of options and we have settled on a spec that suits my needs. Going ahead with the build this week.

I'd also recommend starting off with a toy right now, you might be surprised at how much you can learn from throwing a €30 quad about for a few hours.

• Advertisement

have seen loads of drones on www.aliexpress.com anyone get one from this site

daveob007 wrote: »
    have seen loads of drones on www.aliexpress.com anyone get one from this site

- Kenny cheery for positive feedback

- Dave, give me a pm can go over options

We have mico quads for indoor use under €30

These will let you learn basics if not sure want to buy an expensive

We can build you a multicopter or supply kit of parts

Just remember buy from aliexpress you can get hit with import duty, 2 month shipping and expensive returns if faulty

But if you know what need and happy do lot testing and building they can be good value just slow

john_aero wrote: »
    - Kenny cheery for positive feedback

- Dave, give me a pm can go over options

We have mico quads for indoor use under €30

These will let you learn basics if not sure want to buy an expensive

We can build you a multicopter or supply kit of parts

Just remember buy from aliexpress you can get hit with import duty, 2 month shipping and expensive returns if faulty

But if you know what need and happy do lot testing and building they can be good value just slow
    very true and they might be knockoffs also,they seem to do all the popular brands but whether or not they are the real thing is open to question,,I will pm when I know what I want and how much I can afford to spend many thanks

daveob007 wrote: »
    very true and they might be knockoffs also,they seem to do all the popular brands but whether or not they are the real thing is open to question,,I will pm when I know what I want and how much I can afford to spend many thanks

Any time give me shout

Here to help ppl get into hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭KpsCowley

I bought a lovely little 250 quad from John (John_aero).

The process of building it was well worth it, the soldering can be a little nerve wrecking, but I know how to do it not! Thank you John for all your correspondence and help. Wouldn't have been able to make it without your help.

Couldn't recommend John highly enough for anyone starting into quadcopters.

Thanks
    Kevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭KpsCowley

fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/v/t34.0-12/11116070_10205178341435555_1022877946_n.jpg?oh=0f9e20feb34e8ce2c69b5b6f5ca32947&oe=5521B7A2&__gda__=1428214778_f5d2d8a0a64ee99e2f3370b9f28a4ab1

Stick the https:// before the link for photo

KpsCowley wrote: »
    I bought a lovely little 250 quad from John (John_aero).

The process of building it was well worth it, the soldering can be a little nerve wrecking, but I know how to do it not! Thank you John for all your correspondence and help. Wouldn't have been able to make it without your help.

Couldn't recommend John highly enough for anyone starting into quadcopters.

Thanks
    Kevin.

Kevin thanks for positive feedback

Great see it flying and here to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Hi John Aero

Do you have any 5030 props for sale?
    Where are you based?

Poly wrote: »
    Hi John Aero

Do you have any 5030 props for sale?
    Where are you based?

Based in laois

Have few sets left. More on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hickeys45

Hi, I have a phantom 2 vision plus and the transmitter from the copter to my phone is broken. I bought the drone a year and a half ago but never took it out of the box until recently due to work etc only to find that the drone wasn't transmitting the images to my phone. It seems to be a common enough problem. Does anyone on here know someone that can fix this?

Advertisement