Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum age for a young lad to shoot??

Options
  • 05-03-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭

I know that at 14 a lad can get a training license & 16 up for a full license.

And that someone may use an unrestricted firearm while in the presence of the owner and under their guidance.

BUT what is the minimum age that a person may use an unrestricted firearm while in the presence of the owner and under their guidance??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

clivej wrote: »
    I know that at 14 a lad can get a training license & 16 up for a full license.
    And that someone may use an unrestricted firearm while in the presence of the owner and under their guidance.
    Nope, they can't. Not unless you're on an authorised firearms range or at a shooting gallery at a funfair. Take a young lad or lass out hunting and leaving them take a shot? Completely illegal. No provision for it in the law at all unless they have a licence.
    BUT what is the minimum age that a person may use an unrestricted firearm while in the presence of the owner and under their guidance??
    At an authorised firearms range or a shooting gallery, there is no minimum age.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

14...you have to have at least a training licence...can't use the gun otherwise...unless you're on a range as Sparks said. Some ranges have restrictions on age within their authorisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Strider wrote: »
    Some ranges have restrictions on age within their authorisation.

And the 4A certification will indirectly impose some sort of minimum age, but what that age should be will be more flexible (the range operator's legally liable for any accidents caused by allowing someone to shoot who's too young).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭clivej

Sparks wrote: »
    Nope, they can't. Not unless you're on an authorised firearms range or at a shooting gallery at a funfair. Take a young lad or lass out hunting and leaving them take a shot? Completely illegal. No provision for it in the law at all unless they have a licence.
    At an authorised firearms range or a shooting gallery, there is no minimum age.

Thanks Sparks I just wanted to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I have seen it on the conditions of granting authorization for a range that they have to be 14 that was only at one though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement