Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delta MD80 off the runway at LGA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

They're lucky, over that fence is rocks and water.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

So far I have seen quite a few tweets/status updates from pax.

Good example of the "please evacuate the aircraft before tweeting" joke.

On a more serious point.......
    sully2010 wrote: »
    They're lucky, over that fence is rocks and water.
    There are pics showing the nose over water. Scary view for the flight deck.
    From FDNY twitter feed:
    https://twitter.com/FDNY/status/573549408110972929/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

is it just me or do aircraft in the US seem to be incredibly old when compared to Europe? Aircraft in question is about 27 years old :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

N64 wrote: »
    is it just me or do aircraft in the US seem to be incredibly old when compared to Europe? Aircraft in question is about 27 years old :o
    I think that its a reflection of the different culture of the industry on both sides of the Atlantic.

Remember that the media has an obsession on aircraft age but commercial aircraft ARE designed to be flown for 20+ years. They are not a Ford Focus!

The EU airlines have a predominance of younger aircraft due to the average age of the airlines there being lower. Think Ryanair, Vueling, Easyjet, Norwegian, WizzAir etc. The 'legacy' carriers have had a decade of fleet replenishment to lower their average age.

Also look at Asia, carriers there probably have a lower average age than EU, their air passenger growth has been more recent that in the EU.

Meanwhile the US carriers have been consolidating and dealing with their Chapter 11 bankruptcy situations.

Those older Mad-Dogs of Delta and American have paid for themselves many years ago. These aircraft would be wholly owned by the airline, so no leasing costs. By keeping them flying these airline get a good return on investment which they previously would not get from financing new fleet replacements. (Keep in mind the sheer size of the US airlines, all of the big 3 [ DL, AA, UA] have over 6-700 aircraft)
    The average age of US aircraft will reduce in the coming years as they retire older frames and take delivery of newer A320/B737/A330/B777 models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

That'll be a write-off then?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

IRLConor wrote: »

Unbeliveably lucky those wings didn't ignite with the other 3 exits rendered useless leaving what looks like over wing exits only availible. Could have been a very different outcome with fuel reported leaking from left wing. Blessed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

NTSB update and two pics.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

N64 wrote: »

If 9/11 hadn't caused the huge drop in traffic *and* the oil price hikes we had a few times since then I'd suspect that most airlines in the states would still be flying 727s domestically.

United and AA are dramatically de-aging their fleets at the moment - AAs MDs include the last made but they're going anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement