Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private health insurance for TUI Teacher ... suggestions please

Options
  • 05-03-2015 2:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They put me on Aviva Level 1 Hospital (Teachers). 75.57 a month
    I'm happy enough with it and they paid out when I was hospitalised unexpectedly, no problem.

I always think there's a point of sickness, past which you really don't care what sort of a room you're in as long as you're being helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The One plan from VHI is the best one I found for about that mark. Try hia.ie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I used to be under a "teacher plan" thinking it was the best deal. A friend told me to ring and ask for a corporate plan which worked out €200 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I used to be under a "teacher plan" thinking it was the best deal. A friend told me to ring and ask for a corporate plan which worked out €200 cheaper.

I asked about a teacher plan with Aviva and they told me it was just to do with extra voice and throat problems, no other advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We are with laya on essential family connect. I switched from vhi teachers plan and teachers plan select. I wanted the beacon covered as I live near it and there are 3 of us so it's good for families but I don't know how good it would be for a single person :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Aviva introduced 3 new plans with Teacher in the name about a month ago, these are listed on the HIA website but not on Aviva, they seem to connected to the INTO, but of course anyone is entitled to get them, if you find them as I did when recently renewing
    http://www.intohealthinsurance.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/9789-Aviva-Teacher-Plans-0115-4.pdf

Compare them carefully on http://www.hia.ie/ci/health-insurance-comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Informative thread. More of us are going to be interested in this before the deadline on 1 May. I'm going through the superb www.hia.ie website, but it's still a maze.

The ASTI appears to have made an arrangement with the VHI, but I don't know what sort of value is being got from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm on one of the One Plan 500 from VHI. What I learned a few years ago is that all of the insurance companies have to make any plan that they have available to you once it has been sold at all. That includes any plans they have listed as corporate. I also use hia.ie when comparing health plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

When I was with vhi on teachers plan and teachers plan select they gave Asti and tui members a 10% discount

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

PMI 37 13 with VHI - €1011.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Im on the VHI teachers plan (I think!). It's about €80 per month. Just using the hia compare option it seems to have the best hospital based plan (in terms of excesses).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

You all seem to be paying a lot more than the ones coming up for me on the HIA website, unless prices have actually dropped in recent months. Under "semi-private or private room in a public hospital" and "semi-private room in a private hospital", the Laya Healthcare Advantage 500 Plus is €658.15 for one adult (there are 22 policies coming up cheaper) and has a €50 excess on gp and physio visits for the year. No optical benefit and the only dental benefit is a €400 subvention for emergency work. (Laya was bought by AIG 5 days ago)

Although "Private Patient in a multi-occupancy (which may include semi-private) room in a public hospital and day case." sounds like a joke as a result in a search for a semi-private or private policy - if we had no insurance at all we would surely be in a room with "multi-occupancy" so I'm not quite sure how being a "private patient" in such a room is any better than being a public patient in the same room. At any rate, the penalty for not having insurance is now too great so will have to get it.

Brendan Burgess of Ask About Money has what seems like good advice here, such as:
    "If you are under 35 and you do want insurance, take out a policy with a big excess. You don't need insurance for day to day medical expenses. They are very bad value for you as you will be visiting the doctor only rarely. Even if you go to a consultant, you can pay the €150 consultation fee yourself. Your main risk is that you will face a very expensive, non urgent operation. You can cut the premium significantly by agreeing to pay the first €500 of every claim yourself. Put the premium saved into a savings account, so that you have a fund to pay for your health expenses as they arise."

See also: List of identical policies from the same company with different prices

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

gaiscioch wrote: »
    You all seem to be paying a lot more than the ones coming up for me on the HIA website, unless prices have actually dropped in recent months. Under "semi-private or private room in a public hospital" and "semi-private room in a private hospital", the Laya Healthcare Advantage 500 Plus is €658.15 for one adult (there are 22 policies coming up cheaper) and has a €50 excess on gp and physio visits for the year. No optical benefit and the only dental benefit is a €400 subvention for emergency work. (Laya was bought by AIG 5 days ago)

Although "Private Patient in a multi-occupancy (which may include semi-private) room in a public hospital and day case." sounds like a joke as a result in a search for a semi-private or private policy - if we had no insurance at all we would surely be in a room with "multi-occupancy" so I'm not quite sure how being a "private patient" in such a room is any better than being a public patient in the same room. At any rate, the penalty for not having insurance is now too great so will have to get it.

Brendan Burgess of Ask About Money has what seems like good advice here, such as:

See also: List of identical policies from the same company with different prices

I don't know the exact cost but mine is definitely under €700. I think as well that VHI had a thing that If you were a vec employee there was a discount of 10%. It still comes up on my policy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I found the one plan the best for my needs and price. The cheaper plans seemed to have too many holes in them e.g. One plan 500 didn't have sane level of cover even with the excess

Advertisement