Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses

Options
  • 05-03-2015 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey.

All this time I believe that I want to do Architecture and my reason is lame. It is mainly because I was obsessed in making houses in Sims before. Well other than that, since I was young I like the smell of working sites, like smell of wood or cement. I was really fascinated with how thing were made and stuff.

However, I am not really that talented with arts. I can draw, sure but not God-sent talent. Just so, so. I am still interestes in architecture but I can't name any Architect. All I know is, I like Japan's Architecture the most.

I THINK WHAT I REALLY LIKE IS PSYCHOLOGY.

Since way back, I am very interested on how other people think. I've also read alot about psychology and it never fails to excite me. I like graphology and body languages. The only thing that stops me is that maybe I really like Architecture.. And my cousin is already doing this course. I don't want to be a copycat.

This two courses are the ones I'm not really sure with. I think the reason why I'm thinking about Psychology is I'm not that competent enough with Architecture but I'm just confused.

It's more like a question of "where I suit more?"

Do you guys believe that there are somethings that we just can't do even with enough perseverance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

In this day and age, its in your best interest to go college with the intention of getting a job after you graduate. You most likely won't get a job with an architecture or a psychology degree, both have high rates of unemployment for graduates.

If you want to learn more about either subject, simply head to the library and read some books about them or have a look on the internet. Most colleges put out a reading list of what books are covered in each course so you can just read them and save thousands + 3/4 years of your life (possibly more...)
    Do you guys believe that there are somethings that we just can't do even with enough perseverance?
    Depends on what it is. Can you be skilled at drawing houses with enough practice, or be adept at reading body language? Sure, but neither require a college education

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

With the changes in building regs, architect's are in higher demand than ever..

But no one is going to hire a lad who just borrowed a book from the library. Do an evening course in tech drawing and see how you go. If you're into it, then that's your mind made up for college.

Can always do psychology in the years to come when you retire early with the money you make from your architecture company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

With the changes in building regs, architect's are in higher demand than ever..
    But no one is going to hire a lad who just borrowed a book from the library. Do an evening course in tech drawing and see how you go. If you're into it, then that's your mind made up for college.
    I can agree with the bolded part at least.
    Can always do psychology in the years to come when you retire early with the money you make from your architecture company.
    Don't ever tell a kid about to go to college something like this.
    This is one of many reasons why we have a generation of kids on SSRI's. They graduate and wonder why they can't get work when their parents + professors told them they'd be a millionaire or whatever by age 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

pleindespoir, this is a great speech, which perhaps goes against the idea of choosing the field of study that is most likely to get you a Job: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr07uR75Qk0

All of the successful people I know are passionate about what they do. A large portion of them are not doing what they studied in college. When I was choosing what to do, I was mostly drawn towards computer science. However, because career guidance advice, and because the dot com bubble had burst when I was choosing, I chose instead to study engineering. I hated it and switched to computer science after a couple of years. I now work as a programmer and I enjoy it.

Clandestine, I couldn't disagree with your advice to study what you think will get you a Job more because:
    - It's difficult to succeed at something you don't enjoy or are interested in. Will power will only get you so far.
    - Studying skills like psychology and architecture takes anything between 4 and 10 years to complete. It's impossible to know what the job prospects in these areas will be like after this time period.
    - Your career will likely last 40+ years. Who knows what can happen in that time period. For most people what they do will change considerably from what the started out as over the course of those 40+ years.

pleindespoir: It's great that you have multiple interests. No-one knows what you should do, and what will or won't work out. The only mistake you can make is pursuing an education in something that you have no interest in. Pursue what interests you and join the dots as you go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I agree with Into The Blue. I'm pretty sure these new regs in building mean that everyone has to get proper architects, builders, etc when constructing a new house.

Being an architect isn't exactly a stable job, but theoretically it's one for the future, especially in 3/4 years time. And try as much as you can not to try not to be a copycat! Whatever you do ie what you want to do, don't let other's opinions change that. Your cousin may be annoyed at first, but so what! It should not hinder your choice in courses!

I'm not sure if psychology is that great. It's interesting and all, but once you get out of college and have to deal with real life depressing situations, it becomes quite hardgoing, I heard..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In this day and age, its in your best interest to go college with the intention of getting a job after you graduate.
    In any age, it's always in someone's best interest to bear in mind the likely job market after they graduate.

However, it's equally in their best interest to try to find something they're interested in and have some hope of enjoying doing for the rest of their lives, otherwise they're likely to drop out during college or early in their working career, and either end up back in college starting afresh, or getting lost altogether.

It's always a balancing act, like much of life: try to find something which interests you which has (at least reasonable) job prospects, and then work hard at it so that you have the best chance of picking up one of those jobs.

A PhD in Ancient Sanskrit, no matter how much you love it, is unlikely to have the best job prospects; on the other hand, jumping into Computer Science (for example) because it has good job prospects when you have neither interest in nor aptitude for the area is very unlikely to go well in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

I appreciate everyone's comment but I think I'd stick with Architecture. But I'm gonna put UCD as my first one so I can try Architectural Science and if I really want that field, I'd master it.

Thank you everyone. ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Being an architect isn't exactly a stable job, but theoretically it's one for the future, especially in 3/4 years time.

I wouldn't say that and I know what I am talking about. I work in the industry and I clearly see signs of overheating again. We experienced real growth and no wonder as we also suffer few bad years before.

http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/housing-construction-1979621-Mar2015/

Advertisement