Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Hughes Retiring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

This will be his last season http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=6754424&category=0

Sorry for such a blasphemous post the week before Cheltenham

Pity but going to make a great trainer. imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Agreed, i think he'll make a hell of a trainer,will he work with Sandra now or start himself? Very smart rider,who'll Hannon get now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

He will do very well whatever he does and I wish him the best. Always followed him at Goodwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Superb horseman. Wish him all the best in the future he is a gentleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    Pity but going to make a great trainer. imo

Agree completely a lovely horse man, a very good jockey probably not as good as some make him out to be but he has done very well the past few seasons and has had some memorable winning rides.

Wonder who will take over from him. I'd like to see someone like Luke Morris get a chance at a decent job to see how he would do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

mr.jingle wrote: »
    Agree completely a lovely horse man
    I have a funny story about Richard Hughes.

About 10 years ago my brother in law was having his stag, so we all went to Newbury for the racing on Saturday. We landed into Newbury early enough on Friday, so spent the evening in the pub, eventually falling into some night club. We're doing shots at the bar, and who do we see in a snug, but Richard Hughes chatting up two women. The brother in law sees him, steals a pen from behind the bar, goes up looking for an autograph. We're all busting ourselves laughing as we see a very animated Hughes telling him to fcuk off. The brother in law comes back red faced.

My brother in law is not the kind of person who takes this kind of thing lightly. Anyway, next day we're all at Newbury race course. Hughes is there in the parade ring for the next race talking to connections, his wife is there too. My brother in law start shouting and roaring at Hughes being a cheating b@stard, etc. Hughes and his wife both clearly hear, looking over the brother in law, equally furious. Funny thing was that Hughes got a few winners that day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

My favorite jockey ever I'd nearly say.
    Will make some trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Heard this a few weeks ago, think the Qatar crowd will be backing him so he has every chance to make it as a trainer. Should get some very well bred 2yo's

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭shamdrog63

good Jockey but not a great jockey.If Ryan Moore could,ve been bothered Hughes would never have been champion jockey.He must,ve had 250 more rides than Moore to win the title by a few winners last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

shamdrog63 wrote: »
    good Jockey but not a great jockey.If Ryan Moore could,ve been bothered Hughes would never have been champion jockey.He must,ve had 250 more rides than Moore to win the title by a few winners last year.

And whats that got to do with him retiring? Its an appreciation thread not one to leave sly digs in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭shamdrog63

Gringo180 wrote: »
    And whats that got to do with him retiring? Its an appreciation thread not one to leave sly digs in.

Don,t see Francie,s post above as an appreciation, but you,re not havin a go at him.Have a look at the figures & you will see there,s nothing wrong in what I pointed out.I don,t have anything against Richard Hughes and believe him to be a gentleman like his father was.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Winning Ways Racing

Hughes will have learned a lot from his Dad and the Hannons. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a few runners in Cheltenham too in the years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Have never forgiven him for ( and he admitted it himself) riding horses when he wasn't in any fit state to do so. Won't miss him at all. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

shamdrog63 wrote: »
    Don,t see Francie,s post above as an appreciation
    I'm only telling a story. I actually like Richard Hughes (he was well within his rights to tell my mate to fcuk off that night!).

Advertisement