Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running costs of a 3kw convector heater

Options
  • 04-03-2015 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this so sorry in advance if nor. I am trying to find information about how hard these heaters are on electricity. I'm renting an apartment and it's freezing and have been given 2 of these.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Jimy1971 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this so sorry in advance if nor. I am trying to find information about how hard these heaters are on electricity. I'm renting an apartment and it's freezing and have been given 2 of these.

Simple enough really.....for every hour it is on full power it will consume 3kWh. Depending on your electricity contract; each kWh will cost about €0.15. So cost will be about €0.45 per hour per machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

i guess 3 unit per hour running constantly for each, i used two of them when our house was renovated and we had problem with gas and on top we had hot water on the electricity , just for the record my two moth bill was 650euros including discount of 17%??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Hi,

Electricity is the most expensive way to heat your house and convector heaters would be the worst of a bad lot. Legally you require adequate heating in each room in the apartment, do you not have this? I wouldn't be accepting those heaters myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

There is a 9kw electric heating system here which isn't working. Waiting on an engineer. Is that running cost of 45c per hour per heater correct?

There is a 9kw electric heating system here which isn't working. Waiting on an engineer. Is that running cost of 45c per hour per heater correct?

Depends on your unit costs. Just check your bill but most likely in the right ballpark unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

Stupid question but if you run them on half power, is the cost halved?

Should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Each kwh cost about 16c. So 3 kwh for an hour cost 48c. Or for half an hour 24c or at half power for and hour 25c etc

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

also need to taken in account is carbon emission charges per unit and vat on total bill .+

So in the end bill will be high, i would avoid at all cost , also it gives dry heat your skin feel more dry and as soon as heater is of heating is gone straight ahead not like radiators cooling slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

you could put them on 3k for a few minutes to take the cold out of the room, then put it down to 1.5kw. It shouldnt be cold for too much longer now that we are into March...

• Advertisement
Advertisement