Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tax back while unemployed queries!?!

Options
  • 04-03-2015 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

hi all,
    just looking for a knowledgeable person to answer a few small queries i have, in relation to tax back while recently unemployed please?!

firstly i worked a one year contract full time from 30 jan 14 to 30 jan 15..
    i have already claimed back 700e tax that i overpaid last year.

i am getting a qualified adult amount on my partners VTOS claim now which amounts to 124.50..

seen as i only paid tax for 4 weeks of this year is that all i may be able to claim a refund on now i am unemployed?

or is it possible for me to claim more tax back from last year also?

anyone any knowledge on roughly how much revenue may entitle me to now i am unemployed?

have to wait 8 weeks to send off my completed p50 and p45 i have been told on the phone by revenue, so just a bit curious/clueless in the meantime.

thanks to anyone that may answer me ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭chickenlicken2

Request a P21 Balancing Statement for 2014 which will crystallize any tax refund. Be aware if there was an underpayment of tax this will show up here.

You'll have to contact Department of Social Protection re any welfare you may be able to claim.

The form P50 will crystallize any tax due back for the current year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭lauraelaine

Request a P21 Balancing Statement for 2014 which will crystallize any tax refund. Be aware if there was an underpayment of tax this will show up here.

You'll have to contact Department of Social Protection re any welfare you may be able to claim.

The form P50 will crystallize any tax due back for the current year.

Hi thanks for the reply
    Yea I already receive my refund I had overpaid tax in 2014
    Already sorted with social welfare also
    Query was really related to tax refund while unemployed ?
    Do u know anything about this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hi thanks for the reply

If you worked this year and paid tax before being unemployed you can claim tax after a month with a p50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

You will have to wait until the end of the year and a p21 for 2105.

As far as I am aware you do not get any tax back for becomming unemployed. But any unused credits etc can be balanced at the end of the year and you may get a refund provided you earned enough.

If you worked this year and paid tax before being unemployed you can claim tax after a month with a p50.

Thanks
    Yea I worked the month of January
    Do u have any idea how much of your tax that give u back?
    Do I have to wait till end of this year as stated by poster below!?

• Advertisement

Tzardine wrote: »
    You will have to wait until the end of the year and a p21 for 2105.

As far as I am aware you do not get any tax back for becomming unemployed. But any unused credits etc can be balanced at the end of the year and you may get a refund provided you earned enough.

Oh thanks so I am wrong in thinkin I can claim after 4 or 8 weeks ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Oh thanks so I am wrong in thinkin I can claim after 4 or 8 weeks ??

I don't know why people post advice on things they clearly know nothing about :rolleyes: Tzardine, with respect, is talking through his/her hole.

OP, read the info notes on the back of the P50 - it's set out in clear English - http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/forms/p50.pdf -
    "Am I entitled to an Income Tax and/or Universal Social Charge (USC) refund?
    If Income Tax and/or USC has been deducted from your pay since 1 January and you are now unemployed you may be entitled to a refund.

When do I apply for a refund?
    You should wait a minimum of four weeks from the date you became unemployed before you apply. If you are in receipt of any taxable sources of income (which includes taxable income from the Department of Social Protection) you should wait a minimum of eight weeks. If you were taxed on Emergency basis you may apply immediately for a refund on becoming unemployed."

So, the only question is, are you in receipt of a taxable source of income? From your OP it seems you aren't married, and your partner is getting an increased payment on his claim - in which case that's his income, not yours.

So assuming you've no other income, you can send in the claim now and you'll get back up to €320 (assuming your annual tax credit is 3,300), or all of your PAYE paid if it was less than €320.

USC will take longer to get back, and will require more P50's, but you'll get some of it back on this claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Hi thanks for the reply

You need to wait 8 weeks from when you ceased until you submit your form p50 and p45 for a refund of tax covering 2015.

I don't know why people post advice on things they clearly know nothing about :rolleyes: Tzardine, with respect, is talking through his/her hole.

OP, read the info notes on the back of the P50 - it's set out in clear English - http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/forms/p50.pdf -
    "Am I entitled to an Income Tax and/or Universal Social Charge (USC) refund?
    If Income Tax and/or USC has been deducted from your pay since 1 January and you are now unemployed you may be entitled to a refund.

When do I apply for a refund?
    You should wait a minimum of four weeks from the date you became unemployed before you apply. If you are in receipt of any taxable sources of income (which includes taxable income from the Department of Social Protection) you should wait a minimum of eight weeks. If you were taxed on Emergency basis you may apply immediately for a refund on becoming unemployed."

So, the only question is, are you in receipt of a taxable source of income? From your OP it seems you aren't married, and your partner is getting an increased payment on his claim - in which case that's his income, not yours.

So assuming you've no other income, you can send in the claim now and you'll get back up to €320 (assuming your annual tax credit is 3,300), or all of your PAYE paid if it was less than €320.

USC will take longer to get back, and will require more P50's, but you'll get some of it back on this claim.

Thanks a lot!!
    Yea my tax credits were 3300.
    One more thing so when it ask on the form what income I have received since becoming unemployed do I state that my partner is getting an increased qualified adult payment for me??
    It's a vtos payment he is receiving as he's in college..
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Thanks a lot!!
    Yea my tax credits were 3300.
    One more thing so when it ask on the form what income I have received since becoming unemployed do I state that my partner is getting an increased qualified adult payment for me??
    It's a vtos payment he is receiving as he's in college..
    Thanks

His VTOS is his income - it's not taxable, and it's not (from a tax point of view) yours, so no need to mention it.

• Advertisement

His VTOS is his income - it's not taxable, and it's not (from a tax point of view) yours, so no need to mention it.

Oh thanks a lot
    I likely would have mentioned it had I not asked, thanks!

Advertisement