Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Maynooth - Out of date milk

Options
  • 04-03-2015 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I was in Tesco in Maynooth yesterday (3rd March) to buy a couple of cartons of milk. As I reached out to pick up a carton of Avonmore Whole Super Milk I noticed that the Use By dates were all for the 2nd March. I did find some non-expired cartons at the back.

This is not the first time I have found out of date products in this store. I have brought them to the attention of a member of staff each time. However, I never got the feeling that this was welcome news. More along the lines of "****, how do I get out of this one. Maybe I will just pretend to head in that direction and hope he goes away."

Yesterday, I didn't find anyone to notify and so headed for the customer service desk but found it had a queue. I am sorry to say that my desire to head home overcame my willingness to stand in line.

Moral of the story: check the dates. If you bring it home it is likely that you might not notice the problem until you are actually about to use the product and without a back up.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Big place, they can't always stay on top of the dates I guess but fair play to you for pointing it out the times you did.

Personally, I check the date on all meat/dairy/bread when im buying it. As a rule of thumb, I'll always buy from the back, because that's where they keep the fresher stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It has happened to me there too though unfortunately it was baby food and I only checked the date because there was an older one in the press too.
    For anyhting fresh I check the date before I put it in the trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭daheff

big queue at customer services?? Well best way to deal with that is to walk to the top and loudly tell them that the milk in their fridge is past the sell by date (helps if you have a example to show them).

guaranteed somebody will take notice and deal with it reasonably quickly.

you don't need to hang around...can head off your merry way then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tesco stock rotation and dating policies are crap, everywhere. We had a staff member on the Consumer forum lying through their teeth claiming that their barcode scanners for the home shopping gave them warnings if stuff was short dated - this is impossible as a standard barcode on milk etc does not encode the date, its the same barcode forever.

This is why I haven't bought fresh items off them except in emergencies for years, and since they stopped opening 24/7 in Maynooth those emergencies have gone to Esso/Maxol instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Lastblackdog

Called in to Tescos yesterday (20th) to buy a couple of items, one of which was their Finest Pesto. Reached up, took one out and found that the sell-by date was the 5th - two weeks out of date!

I took it to a member of staff who couldn't have seemed less interested if they tried.

I know that you are thinking "you found a member of staff". Just a stroke of luck I suppose. Doesn't happen very often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

I found this milk on the 17th of August in Tesco Rathmines

http://prnt.sc/cwjqqh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I do most shopping in supervalu and it's extremely rare you see that. The odd time I have noticed it I said it to staff and they thanked me and immediately address it. The personal nature of Supervalu is the reason I do nearly all my shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

funny, i have the opposite experience.
    never had anything out of date from Tesco, or at least that I've noticed.

noticed a few things out of date in Supervalu, most recently last week when I bought something and it was only when I was home and it tasted funny that I realised it was 2 weeks past the best before. probably the reason it was on special at the time, to clear all the out of date stock....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I rarely shop in Tesco any more, except to buy Quorn & a few other bits & pieces. I noticed one time that the whole freezer containing Quorn etc looked like it was off, and that everything was defrosted and soft, so I told customer services.

Next day, I came back in & it was extremely obvious the freezer had been turned back on & the stuff was just refrozen, so I left it.

The standards in Tesco are not good :/
    Supervalu all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

I tell you what's out of date...this thread! :pac:

But seriously, Tesco quality is often poor even if things are in date (ever try to keep their coleslaw for any length of time?). Fruit and veg also. I like Super Valu, friendlier and often easier to pop in for things rather than undertake the trek thru Tesco for things like bread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I shop in Super Valu as I find the staff helpful and friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Big place, they can't always stay on top of the dates I guess but fair play to you for pointing it out the times you did.
    Milk past its sell by date is simply unacceptable. And should not be down to the store being a "big place".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Milk past its sell by date is simply unacceptable. And should not be down to the store being a "big place".

if you have a chiller with 12 cartons of milk, no bother , when you have a shelf with 50+ cartons on it , and then those people who insist on reaching to the back of the shelf accidentally push a front carton to the back when re-assembling the shelf , its very easy to happen.

if the milk was over 10 days out i'd say alright, thats a terrible system, but all the examples here are 3-7 days at most. Very Very high chance that a customer put an older carton to the back of the shelf and now its at the front.
    The only way around this would be to take all of the milk off the shelf and put the fresh ones back, every single day. Rather than what happens now of just loading a shelf from the back and hoping customers do the normal thing of taking from the first row.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That Tesco is/was extremely badly run from the food safety perspective.

Advertisement