Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find My Past free this weekend

Options
  • 04-03-2015 1:10pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Find My Past have just announced on their Facebook page that they are giving free access to all this weekend from Friday to Monday.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Thanks, I got the email also.

I know it's a freebie and a great resource, and I'm happy to use it, but why oh why do firms like them write such tosh as "Records available will include: Millions of Ireland census records from 1821, 1831, 1841, 1851 and 1911" - totally misleading their potential customers and losing credibility!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I've noticed that when searching the newspaper archive I can only view Irish records up to 1900.
    Anyone else have the same limit?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Not for me. I've had results in the late 19th century, as far back as 1874. Probably earlier but haven't had time to check more yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Same here, Hermy, I've had very few results after 1900.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Not for me. I've had results in the late 19th century, as far back as 1874. Probably earlier but haven't had time to check more yet.

I'm getting the earlier results Jelly - just nothing after 1900.
    Ah, it's no biggy, just wondered had they set that limit.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The majority of the articles they have for Irish Newspapers seem to come from the 1800s - see here

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

hey guys,

enjoying this while it lasts..especially the prison and petty session court register.

On that note why is that I see the same, what it seems to me like eviction notices, year on year for my 2nd great grandfather.

Whats puzzling me is that each year it seems to be for the same property

That you the said defendant at Limerick, continue unlawfully to.......................deliver up to the complainant the possession of a house situated at.......

Defendant ordered to be ejected from said premises in not less than 7 or more than ten days.

My question is why is happening every year and recurring over 5-6 years. same property same complaninant

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

There was a time when the landlord would not get paid, threats were made rent wasn't forthcoming, the family would be turfed out and the house set ablaze.
    A few days later the family move back in, repair the damage and the whole thing begins again over the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Wang King wrote: »
    There was a time when the landlord would not get paid, threats were made rent wasn't forthcoming, the family would be turfed out and the house set ablaze.
    A few days later the family move back in, repair the damage and the whole thing begins again over the coming months

Right didn't know it would be so cyclical

Advertisement