Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help My Gas bill is more than my RENT!!

Options
  • 04-03-2015 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi Guys,

I just got my gas bill which was added up based on my last meter reading and this months meter reading, 742 units used which is coming in after VAT etc at 560 Euro, I live in a one bed flat and have the heating on only for a few hours a day. Sometimes at the weekend more, the only thing that works off of the GAS is heating & Water.

Last bill was 410 units and was 350 Euro - this was over Christmas when I had the heating on nearly all the time.

Im desperate for some help as I have no idea why it would jump so much when I am using it the same if not less??

HELP!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Was your meter read or is your bill an estimate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Sit in McDonald's all day instead of using the heating at home, also free Wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

We run the electricity off the gas, and the gas off the electricity and save over 200 pounds a year. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

If it's a bedsit or similar there's a good chance that you're paying for someone else's gas too.
    I see it all the time with electricity supplies in old converted houses.
    Sometimes by mistake, most times deliberate!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bored.ie.ie

The reading was done by me, I take a picture of the meter every two months to send to the landlord so I was able to check this and the readings are correct.

740 units for two months seems very excessive!!

There is another apartment upstairs that also runs off of my gas but there hasnt been anyone there for these two months so the Gas is off (I checked this myself last night) - although there have been builders in once or twice. But I cant imagine they have used 200 Euro worth of gas?!

I also checked the meter and its gone up 22 units since monday night!? That also seems a lot.

Could this be a problem with the boiler maybe?

I find it hard to swallow that a one bed flat would cost so much!! its double last year (although I know last year I was economising) even so its 200 Euro more than last bill and by rights it should really be the same.

Is there anything that could make the meter turn quicker?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

Your gas bills are a rip off! Was it underestimated for ages and a recent bill an actual?

You need to put on a wooly jumper or move to a better insulated flat.

Also, I'd move this from ah.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Id say your paying for someone else's too. I have a 3 bed house and oil heating and it cost me about 500 for the past 6 months, on about 4 hours a day. Oil is meant to be more expensive than gas too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

macnug wrote: »
    Id say your paying for someone else's too. I have a 3 bed house and oil heating and it cost me about 500 for the past 6 months, on about 4 hours a day. Oil is meant to be more expensive than gas too!

Agreed. €560 is much more like the six-monthly cost for heating an actual house.

Its the only explanation, all I can think of it being is that there is a leak or the gas was on upstairs.

Does anyone know if this would happen due to a faulty boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Your landlord's been snoozing with the heating on for ages while you're away OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Holy crap. I've a 3 bed semi, and it's just over half of that so:

1) Your paying for someone elses
    or b) Wrong meter reading was used to calculate the cost
    or 3) Boiler needs servicing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Something not right there you're wither paying for someone elses gas too or you have a faulty boiler or something, I'd ask the landlord to send a plumber around to ake a look or start chipping in on the costs

ah stop, I refuse to pay it till its cleared up.

I asked her to make some previsions for winter, curtains and such and she said this cost was mine so if this Gas bill is correct (god knows how) I think I will have to ask her to take some of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Is that you Adolf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Its the only explanation, all I can think of it being is that there is a leak or the gas was on upstairs.

Does anyone know if this would happen due to a faulty boiler?
    Dont use any gas for 12 hrs (24 would be better if possible) and then check to see if the units on your meter have increased.Its strange that upstairs is on your gas meter..are you sure that no where else is on it too?Thats a crazy amount for you to be using tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭josip

Something is very badly wrong with your gas setup.
    One or more of a leak, faulty meter, fault reading, woeful insulation, neighbours tapping off.
    The December-January 2 month gas bill for our 3 bed semi-d was €150 and we keep it at a steady 20-21 deg C all day. That's heating only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If you have a gas shut-off valve you could try engaging that and see if the meter keeps spinning. Do you know does the other apartment have a gas cooker?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Make sure the thermostat dial on the boiler isn't turned up to the max.

That might be partly the blame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

You should get a proper rgi to inspect your installation, not a taxi driver rgi though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How much are these units? A unit of my gas is 8 cent.
    My bill for 6 months in a small apartment was 100 euro (have electric heating too but use gas most days for a couple hours a day and always have hot water from gas).
    Sounds way off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I see you already have a thread open on this subject in Accomdation and Property, you'll get some helpful answers there :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement