Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heater not heating in one room

Options
  • 04-03-2015 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm completely uneducated in plumbing and heating so hopefully I don't sound too stupid.

We have gas heating in our house and when we moved in two of the heaters would not heat up. One upstairs and one downstairs. I opened both valves on the heater upstairs and it got hot pretty quick. I did the same with the one downstairs and it did nothing. The valves are definitely open on both sides of the heater but its still cold. What could cause this? I felt the pipes on both sides and they are also very cold. At the moment this room is like a fridge sucking heat out of the rest of downstairs.

Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ThrAx wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm completely uneducated in plumbing and heating so hopefully I don't sound too stupid.

We have gas heating in our house and when we moved in two of the heaters would not heat up. One upstairs and one downstairs. I opened both valves on the heater upstairs and it got hot pretty quick. I did the same with the one downstairs and it did nothing. The valves are definitely open on both sides of the heater but its still cold. What could cause this? I felt the pipes on both sides and they are also very cold. At the moment this room is like a fridge sucking heat out of the rest of downstairs.

Any help is much appreciated!

Leave the bad rads open. Turn off all other rads. Turn on heating. They should heat. Then turn back on all rads

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Leave the bad rads open. Turn off all other rads. Turn on heating. They should heat. Then turn back on all rads

Just out of curiosity, how does that work? Does it force a blockage clear or something?

Just out of curiosity, how does that work? Does it force a blockage clear or something?

If it's an air lock then yes it usually shifts it. If it's sludge then no. I'd say it's just air. Let us know how you get on.

If it's an air lock then yes it usually shifts it. If it's sludge then no. I'd say it's just air. Let us know how you get on.

Do I need to leave it for a while? Doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Do I need to leave it for a while? Doesn't seem to be doing anything.

20mins should do it. Close the balance valve at the cylinder too. It's a red wheel valve on the bottom pipe leading into the cylinder

• Advertisement

20mins should do it. Close the balance valve at the cylinder too. It's a red wheel valve on the bottom pipe leading into the cylinder

What's the cylinder? Do you mean the gas boiler?

What's the cylinder? Do you mean the gas boiler?

The cylinder should be in the Hotpress. It stores the hot water

Right I'll try that when i get around to it. I cant damage anything by doing this can i?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 andycahill

also, try bleeding the rad

Right I'll try that when i get around to it. I cant damage anything by doing this can i?

There's a minute chance an explosion.
    No only kidding. It's perfectly safe

• Advertisement
Advertisement