Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway estate agents

Options
  • 04-03-2015 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

Interesting afternoon, a mate living abroad is interested in buying an apartment in Galway. Cash buyer, wants it as a holiday home. Picks out a number of places on daft.ie and asks me to set up some showings for Friday as I'll be driving him around.

1st answers phone and the apt in question is gone, very apologetic and asks if there's any other that I'm interested in, I decline and she thanks me for my call.

2nd answers and I ask for a viewing, Thursday at 5pm she replies, I tell her that doesn't suit as the buyer isn't in Galway at that time and Friday morning would suit better, no deal , Thursday is the only one, do I want it? Again I reply that the buyer won't be in the country at 5pm and it doesn't suit, well we have a few offers on that apt anyway I'm told.

3rd phone rings and then appears to hang up, I try again and the same thing happens, bizarre !

4th phone is answered by polite lady who tells me that the estate agent is on the phone and I will be rung back, still waiting for that call !

5th phone answered by polite lady, estate agent with someone but will ring back, still waiting for that call too.

6th no reply from office phone so I ring a mobile number and get through to someone who clearly doesn't want the call, tells me to ring the office but can't remember the number, then tells me to ring another number on the ad (after I prompted him). I ring that number and I'm told that the apt is available and when I ask to set up a viewing he replies that he's in the car and advises me to ring the office tomorrow ( I would have thought he would offer to call me).

So there you go, a mate with a budget of circa €150k wants to buy yet after calling 6 estate agents he hasn't even managed to get a viewing appointment.

Makes me wonder how they are still in business, is this normal practise or was I just unlucky. Is the Galway market that busy that they can be so flippant with customers ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Exactly the same treatment in Dublin last year. They changed their tune nearer the end of the year but it's back to normal service now.

Sure don't ya know an EA is doing you a massive favour letting you see the place spend six figures.

A-holes but then for balance they will deal with a huge amount of time wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fcio

Be careful! There are dozen of apts for sale in Glen na ri, Renmore for circa 70-80k on daft which on surface might appear as great value and are well below the Galway average asking prices, but these are pooled rental bull**** scheme with insane maintenance fees, some of the estate agents if they think you don't know about this "scheme" will simply not want to waste their time talking to you.

Also keep in mind that a lot of apts in your price range have tenants and its hard to organise viewings around some tenants, hell one place we went to see the tenant wouldn't give key to ea who had to apologise twice for not being able show place outside of the place on agreed dates

Advertisement