Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law and French at UCC

Options
  • 04-03-2015 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

PLEASE HELP ME
    Can't find an opinion anywhere, I want to study Law and French (UCC/Trinity) or Commerce and French (NUIG/UCC).
    Problem is, I've never done any thing related to either course, bar French which I really enjoy, and am good at. I'm expecting a B1 in HL Maths if that helps with Commerce too.
    I need to know what the courses are like, what do you study? Is it interesting? And finally, what colleges/courses do the big companies and law firms take students from?
    Thank you, any response will help!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why have you picked those courses if you know so little about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CColreavy

spurious wrote: »
    Why have you picked those courses if you know so little about them?

I haven't, I'm thinking about it, and there are little courses in Ireland with French (not Arts). Plus, Law/Commerce SEEMS interesting and beneficial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suppose Law and French would be very useful if you could get a double Irish/French qualification. Can you check if that's possible? I think if you do your Erasmus year plus another year in France you can get the double qualification.
    The French love the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

The Maitrise in UCD seems to offer a dual qualification. https://myucd.ucd.ie/course.do?courseID=16

The other Law and French courses cover Irish Law extensively and give you a basic knowledge of French law (I think).

Alternatively, have a look at the Law and Business courses in TCD/UCD if you're interested in law and commerce. (There may be other colleges that offer the course?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 myrnaloys

Just finished law and french in ucc, they are both taught as completely separate disciplines basically like doing an arts degree besides a french law module in 1st and 2nd year. But with regards to law, it's really tough at first but everyone's starting out with basically no knowledge anyway. What i will say is that there is a lot of reading involved and it's all independent so very little group work or projects so it doesn't suit everyone.
    Although since they've semesterised modules now it's a bit more manageable. If you like writing essays, analysis, critical thinking and that you will enjoy it! There's nothing really you do at LC which can fully prepare you for law, it'll all be completely new so they start with the basics. It's grand as well to have french to balance things out when law gets a bit heavy going, so you'll have language modules like at secondary school, an oral class, then more cultural/literary ones which are all fine and usually interesting!
    For erasmus you will be studying law through french for the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement