Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveyor advice

Options
  • 03-03-2015 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Husband and I are currently house hunting. He went to see a house today that could fit the bill but there are some cracks on one of the walls that have raised a bit of red flag.

Is there anyway to have a surveyor take an initial look at something like this without going down the road of a full survey at this point and the associated costs.

We dont' want to even go down the road of putting in a bid/paying for a full survey if these cracks represent an obvious problem.

Am I looking for the impossible here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Would you do free work?

travel to house, equipment for inspection, inspection analysis, travel from house... time is money

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

jon1981 wrote: »
    Would you do free work?
    Not what the op is asking for.

murphaph wrote: »
    Not what the op is asking for.

this: Am I looking for the impossible here?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

jon1981 wrote: »
    this: Am I looking for the impossible here?
    Presume the op is asking is there such a thing as a partial survey that costs less than a full survey. Hardly an unreasonable question.

murphaph wrote: »
    Presume the op is asking is there such a thing as a partial survey that costs less than a full survey. Hardly an unreasonable question.

Fair point , maybe the op can clarify that they are looking for a reduced rate survey specific to that one issue.

OP ,call an engineer/surveyor and ask them what they charge for an hour call out for a visual inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Dublin? I might have a recomendation for you also.

Was the build c. 10-15 years ago? Beware of pyrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Heffc

I am certainly not expecting anyone to work for free, sigh...

As Murphaph pointed out, we want to get an opinion on these cracks to determine if its even worth considering putting in an offer on the house. We don't want to pay the cost of a full survey so I'm wondering will a surveyor will offer that service.

Thanks for you PM CBFi. It was remiss of me not to state our location - we are based in South Dublin. I couldn't be sure of the age of the house MarkAnthony, but its certainly much more than 10-15 years as its in a mature area.

thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

The problem with only doing a partial survey is that the customer is still expecting you to provide more information over and above the initial narrow scope. If you go in to only look at things partially where do you draw the line-in case another defect is found -you could be opening yourself to being sued.

All or nothing as far as I am concerned.

Advertisement