Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job seekers allowance- new job

Options
  • 03-03-2015 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,

Im unemployed and haven't been able to claim jobseekers allowance as im 24 and live with my parents. Im turning 25 soon (so it will no longer be means tested) and have been provisionally offered a job, but i have no start date and it might not be for a while yet. Can i apply for JSA? One of the conditions is 'actively seeking work'- but I won't be as I'm hoping to take up this new job at some point in the future. Any advice on what i should do? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Can you not look for a better/earlier starting job while making a claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seachanges

The type of job i've been provisionally offered is hard to get and is in what I studied in at college so a better job doesn't exist at present. Just want to know what the deal is with JSA if anyone has been in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

The following are some of the circumstances where a person may be considered NOT to be available for work:

s/he is looking for a particular type of work only. As previously stated, after a period of unemployment, a person must be prepared to accept any employment for which s/he is qualified,
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseekers-Allowance.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seachanges

thanks Balagan that's really helpful, appreciate it.

Advertisement