Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Accident

Options
  • 03-03-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all

I was involved in a car accident at the weekend that happened like this:
    At a fork in the road I needed to get into the left lane to proceed to left of the fork. I indicated to move into the left lane and was clipped by a car coming from behind also taking left fork. I applied brakes but road was wet and couldn't avoid crashing into car in front. (It was an old woman who apparently had also been run into by a bus last week). The other car was an Aston Martin. Everything looked fine when I checked my mirrors to go left but I can't be sure what speed the AM was doing. Because to was already in the lane do I have to accept responsibility?

Thanks
    ftc
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

If you maneuvered into that lane then it will be deemed your fault unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

Before you indicated to move into the left lane did you check your mirrors to see if it was safe to move into left lane?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hi all

I was involved in a car accident at the weekend that happened like this:
    At a fork in the road I needed to get into the left lane to proceed to left of the fork. I indicated to move into the left lane and was clipped by a car coming from behind also taking left fork. I applied brakes but road was wet and couldn't avoid crashing into car in front. (It was an old woman who apparently had also been run into by a bus last week). The other car was an Aston Martin. Everything looked fine when I checked my mirrors to go left but I can't be sure what speed the AM was doing. Because to was already in the lane do I have to accept responsibility?

Thanks
    ftc

An old woman in an Aston Martin. I see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭feartheclaw

skibum wrote: »
    Before you indicated to move into the left lane did you check your mirrors to see if it was safe to move into left lane?

Yes, I checked but thought I would have enough time/space to make the move left..
    Does anyone know what the situation in now with insurance - will they both claim from my insurance? And how will this affect my premium? I have a step back provision in the policy?

Thanks again

ftc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ah well,if she had been run into by a bus, it must be her fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Not how I read it. There were three cars involved. his car, the AM and the old lady in front.

Ha, no, the old woman was in the other car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

3 cars?

3 cars...his, the one that he pulled in front of that ran into him as a result and the one he ran into because he couldn't stop.

3 cars?

Yes. Me, the AM that clipped me and the car I rear-ended..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Are ye still at the scene of the accident waiting for the guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Well, you certainly have to be given points for style.

By the way one of the few AMs driven in Dublin is frequently parked in the four courts when I'm there. If you've hit a SC's Aston I'd let your insurance deal with it!

Excellent thread, best of luck OP, no one hurt? Then have a giggle about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The AM must have been going at a decent enough speed if you then hit the car in front.
    Either that or the car in front was stationary?
    Sounds an interesting one and you might not necessarily be 100% to blame***

***I'm not a solicitor by the way and am only guessing!!!!!

Well, you certainly have to be given points for style.

By the way one of the few AMs driven in Dublin is frequently parked in the four courts when I'm there. If you've hit a SC's Aston I'd let your insurance deal with it!

Excellent thread, best of luck OP, no one hurt? Then have a giggle about it.

No one hurt. Minor damage. Small crack on the wing of the AM though will probably cost more than the damage done to both sides of my car...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Sounds like AM undertook you at speed, you may have a case OP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sounds like AM undertook you at speed, you may have a case OP

Depends entirely on the road. AM may already have been in lane for the left fork, when the OP pulled in front of it. Definitely sounds like he was too close to the car in front.

And there's no hope in hell a tip from a wing mirror forced the OP into the car in front.

if he was in the left lane and indicating his intention to turn left, he is permitted to undertake I believe. It's one of the few exceptions.

corktina wrote: »
    if he was in the left lane and indicating his intention to turn left, he is permitted to undertake I believe. It's one of the few exceptions.
    (5) A driver may only overtake on the left—

( a ) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or to turn to the left,
    ( b ) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention,
    ( c ) in slow moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle.

If it happened at the fork though, I'm not sure if it could be considered an overtake (on the left), as the AM would technically be on a different road?

well, if he's on different road, it's Ok on that ground surely

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭e92335i

OP google map us the location of this accident.
    I indicated to move into the left lane and was clipped by a car coming from behind also taking left fork. I applied brakes but road was wet and couldn't avoid crashing into car in front.

So you went into the car that was taking the right side of the fork?
    No one hurt. Minor damage. Small crack on the wing of the AM

Where on the AM wing was the damage?
    Where on your car is damaged from the AM?

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    well, if he's on different road, it's Ok on that ground surely

My point is - it wouldn't be considered an overtake by the AM, so yes it's perfectly fine. It'd probably be perceived that the OP joined the other lane/road without giving due care to traffic already in that lane.

e92335i wrote: »

That's right. AM wing damaged over front wheel. Same with my car and my mirror was hit

e92335i wrote: »

It wont let me post a URL but it was approaching the fork in Harolds Cross in Dublin if that helps

Yes looks about right...

Advertisement