Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike friendly long term accomodation in Dublin

Options
  • 03-03-2015 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm relocating in Dublin in next months, and I would like to bring my motorbike as soon I have found a good accomodation to park it.
    I'll work near Dublin Castle.

Which kind of house/apartment/flat o park space I should rent in terms of security (not only from thiefs but also vandals..)?

I've heard bad stories about underground parking spaces. Houses with a garage are rare (and located outside Dublin Center).
    Often they don't write on letting advertising if an house have a rear garden or shed..

Any opinion is welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi,
    I'm relocating in Dublin in next months, and I would like to bring my motorbike as soon I have found a good accomodation to park it.
    I'll work near Dublin Castle.

Which kind of house/apartment/flat o park space I should rent in terms of security (not only from thiefs but also vandals..)?

I've heard bad stories about underground parking spaces. Houses with a garage are rare (and located outside Dublin Center).
    Often they don't write on letting advertising if an house have a rear garden or shed..

Any opinion is welcome. Thanks!

With a bike why are you limiting yourself to living in the centre of Dublin?

Check for side access when looking at the pictures, even without a shed a ground anchor and bike cover will be OK. Plenty of bikes locked out front under covers without issues in the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭fear_factory84

that could be a solution, but I still not have a good knowledge of suburbs...
    I only read something on this forum and from friends, and that's not suffient to know where to search house!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I only read something on this forum and from friends, and that's not suffient to know where to search house!

If you're on a bike, anywhere inside the M50 will usually mean a <30min commute.

Unfortunately with the current rental market in Dublin I can't really advise on where to look. All I can advise is stick the max you can afford into Daft/Myhome and see the general areas it'll get you, then take a spin out to see what they are like (go out a couple of times and at least once at night/evening).

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

On a bike, you can definitely extend your search area.

From around Maynooth to around Ringsend is around 45 minutes, whatever the traffic once you're comfortable with filtering and lane splitting.

When it comes to safety, side gate that you can lock is a good start.
    If you can have a shed at the rear it's even better.
    And take the habit to immediately put it away so that it's not easily visible from the street.

The biggest problem you will have will probably be finding a spot to leave it when you work (unless that is already sorted out).

And don't forget to also plan for the days you will not be able to take the bike (for whatever reason). Having the possibility to use public transport is always nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What's your budget and what bike is it?

my bike is a 2014 suzuki vstrom DL1000A.... and of course I'll cover it with theft insurance.
    Now in Italy I pay about 1.2k € per year for insurance so as I understand, in Ireland insurance would be cheaper.

Budget for rent is something around 1k €, but if it's worth I can raise it a bit.
    I'll cohabitate with my girlfriend, so a 1 bed house/apartment/flat would suffice.

my bike is a 2014 suzuki vstrom DL1000A.... and of course I'll cover it with theft insurance.
    Now in Italy I pay about 1.2k € per year for insurance so as I understand, in Ireland insurance would be cheaper.

Budget for rent is something around 1k €, but if it's worth I can raise it a bit.
    I'll cohabitate with my girlfriend, so a 1 bed house/apartment/flat would suffice.

The problem is that there are very few, if any, 1 bed houses in Dublin and apartments/flats will be extremely hard to get with private secure parking. For €1k there are very few houses to rent in Dublin your going to need to add at least €200 to get a bigger choice, from reading the accommodation forum here for good properties the price advertised is usually exceeded when rented out as we are in a rental crisis.

Have you confirmed that insurance will be cheaper? There isn't much competition, 5 companies, and holders of non Irish drivers licences get a loading, even though it's technically against the law but you know what they say about statistics and insurance is all about statistics.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/lies-damned-lies-and-statistics.html

You have a couple of issues here. Your bike being new is a high theft target. Your no-claims from Italy is not valid here, you're starting from new.

As above, Dublin is in the middle of a rent crisis. Cohabiting with your girlfriend rules out house shares.

1k rent doesn't go very far at the moment in most respectable areas of the city or suburbs. Most decent properties are snapped up very quickly, in most cases within a day. Being out of the country without current accommodation means you might need to factor in temporary accommodation costs.

you have made a short resume of my concerns... ;)

Many people said me that a certified translation of my italian no claim statement would suffice, but until I've relocated I cannot ask quotes to insurances, many of them require an irish address and/or an irish phone number and even PPS number.

I've booked a short term let for April, and then I'll need to hunt by person a long term accomodation, so that's why I'm asking advices in advance here...

It seems that it's easier to buy (in cash) an house near M50 than rent an apartment in Dublin...........................

• Advertisement

you have made a short resume of my concerns... ;)

Many people said me that a certified translation of my italian no claim statement would suffice, but until I've relocated I cannot ask quotes to insurances, many of them require an irish address and/or an irish phone number and even PPS number.

I've booked a short term let for April, and then I'll need to hunt by person a long term accomodation, so that's why I'm asking advices in advance here...

It seems that it's easier to buy (in cash) an house near M50 than rent an apartment in Dublin...........................

Using daft/myhome, pick random addresses you are looking at and fill out some online quote forms. You should get a rough idea of prices. I'd be shocked if it was less than 1200 a year. Rental prices themselves give you a rough idea of what type of area the property is located in.

You will be required to VRT your bike for use here, circa 1k. Tax is around 80 per year I think.

As for renting, I can't offer you any real ideas. I'm 30 and moved in with my partners mother rather than continue to pay extortionate rental rates in Dublin at the moment. And I'm not exactly on a low wage.

I'm already registered on daft and myhome, and I've already setup an automatic search that send me mails every let is published.
    The only thing you can discover on daft are apartments with underground car parking. It's very rare that you can know in advance if there is a backyard with a side entrance, a storage shed or something like a motorbike parking. As I said houses with garages are very rare, and often they are big houses ( > 3 bedrooms).

Since I'm relocating and I own my motorbike for more than 6 months luckily I'll be exempt from VRT, but I'll still have to transport it to Ireland. Tax is 88€.

What about car parking lets on daft? There are many multi-floor parkings that let spaces around 100€ / month. Are them secure?
    Reading forum posts here and on biker.ie I feel that they are not a good idea....

Maybe I should give up, sell my motorbike and buy in ireland an older and cheaper one (for example a transalp 650 or a deauville) when I'll have an accomodation that will fit.. or maybe never :(:(

As above, Dublin is in the middle of a rent crisis. Cohabiting with your girlfriend rules out house shares.

Plenty of couples are house sharing, or even renting a room off the owner. Renting a room of the owner means you've less rights but it works the same way for the home owner, you can leave much easier than when renting off a Landlord

What about car parking lets on daft? There are many multi-floor parkings that let spaces around 100€ / month. Are them secure?
    Reading forum posts here and on biker.ie I feel that they are not a good idea....

Maybe I should give up, sell my motorbike and buy in ireland an older and cheaper one (for example a transalp 650 or a deauville) when I'll have an accomodation that will fit.. or maybe never :(:(

The rental car parking spaces are just people who have apartments in the city centre and no cars, they are even less secure than a place you live as no one there will care about the bike.
    Don't give up, there should be recognition of your NCD as they recognise claims from outside the country, there will be places available to keep the bike safe it just takes digging. What you can do is once you figure out an area you are interested in is to call the local estate agents and ask do they have places with rear access.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Plenty of couples are house sharing, or even renting a room off the owner. Renting a room of the owner means you've less rights but it works the same way for the home owner, you can leave much easier than when renting off a Landlord

Clearly you didn't see the "no couples" text in the majority of share ads. With good reason too.

If I was the OP moving to Italy and my girlfriend didn't have immediate employment I'd look for a short term share with all meals/bills included. Plenty of people are doing this, taking advantage of the rent a room tax break. It leaves him free to both focus on work and have spare time in the evening.

I'd then move on trying to get something more appropriate for 2 people and a bike during the evening. You can keep the girlfriend involved with keeping tabs on the websites and ringing. When I'd found something I'd bring the girlfriend over. This isn't a rental market you want to be making rash decisions because you stand a much higher risk of ending up paying huge money for slum housing or living in bad areas.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't give up, there should be recognition of your NCD as they recognise claims from outside the country

I know AXA at times can be persuaded to take NCB from England for cars but I have never heard of anything else being recognised. There are plenty of threads on the motors forum of people bitching about it. NCB is a private bonus scheme, companies are more than entitled to make their own rules regarding its terms and conditions. Even if keeping a NCB around Italy's psycho drivers is a achievement in itself they have no legal requirement to recognise it.

I have finally settled in Rathmines.. without my bike.

I have seen a lot of apartments/flats but no one had a private garage, no rear access.
    I was able to find at maximum places with very big underground car parking or with outdoor gated shared car park space (like the one I got).

I'm still waiting but probably I'll sell my motorbike in my country hoping that in future I'll get an house with garage (buying it since nobody let them).

Advertisement