Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protection Rackets.

Options
  • 03-03-2015 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭

Do stores have to pay protection money in Ireland,like in the movies where the two dodgy characters come in and are handed a parcel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

gimme yer wallet or im gonna mess this thread up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Extortion? Yeah I'm sure there's been a bit of that back in the 70s/80s. You never really know what's happening now unless you know who's doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The Real IRA still ran these schemes up until recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭circadian

I remember hearing about an attempted protection racket in a border town. It turns out the wannabe protectors needed protecting pretty quickly since the shop owner was a complete headcase and took no crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

They call it commercial rates here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Some man for the threads

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

With dwindling retail revenue & all the closures during the recession must have it the extortion business hard.
    That & the inability to extort an online company, young Jimmy with his ebay garage business selling Chinese micro usb mains chargers didn't suit their business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Some man for the threads

Three in six years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

kneemos wrote: »
    Three in six years.

Who? Me?

You're not looking in the right places for my threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

circadian wrote: »
    I remember hearing about an attempted protection racket in a border town. It turns out the wannabe protectors needed protecting pretty quickly since the shop owner was a complete headcase and took no crap.

Know of a similar story with a pub round here where wannabe protectors came in to collect their money only for the doors to be locked behind them and a gang of lads to beat the sh*t out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

No need for extortion rackets when people can just be threatened or otherwise coerced into selling a building, where it can then be rented out at extortionate rates.

Far less risky (one time threat, one time risk of being caught, vs ongoing constant risk of being caught), far more lucrative (just keep jacking up rents and promoting property bubbles to justify this), far less hassle (you own the building, no 'racket' that needs enforcing).

Perfectly suited to IRA/ex-IRA types and criminals not averse to violence, looking for a way to launder money - plus developers and other wealthy high-and-mighties with such criminal business partners, probably with political connections too; I'd not be surprised if a fair portion of Dublin city is under ownership originating in ways similar to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

You mean this OP:

LINK

?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes they do

Though typically they only exist where the business themselves has otherwise come to the attention of those carrying out the protection racket, and they don't want any Garda attention. Your local Centra doesn't have the RIRA demanding money because they'd be straight down to the Gardai to make a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It used to be commonplace in Galway with the Triads.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Know of a similar story with a pub round here where wannabe protectors came in to collect their money only for the doors to be locked behind them and a gang of lads to beat the sh*t out of them.
    I heard similar about some pub in dublin city, the barman calmly told them to come back at a particular time when the boss would be there. They supposedly were crawling out of the place after been beaten senseless. Pub was owned by one of those infamous nicknamed Irish gangsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,469 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

rubadub wrote: »
    I heard similar about some pub in dublin city, the barman calmly told them to come back at a particular time when the boss would be there. They supposedly were crawling out of the place after been beaten senseless. Pub was owned by one of those infamous nicknamed Irish gangsters.

T'was the blue lion on Parnell st i think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Apparently the UVF are big in to it in East Belfast.

www. belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/businesses-flee-uvf-extortion-in-east-belfast-reveals-mp-long-31032332.html

Remove the space for the link to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This is the only racket protection I need.

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Remove the space for the link to work.

Why did you add that space in? :confused:

Surely just posting the link would save people time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Why did you add that space in? :confused:

Surely just posting the link would save people time.

Noobs can't post links

eamonnq wrote: »
    Noobs can't post links

Ah right. I didn't see that he was new.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Standard Provo fund-raising device back in the day.

A donation towards Gerry's holiday home "the cause":rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yeah it's called taxes. How else do,you think Enda and his bïtches get over €3,000 a week?

Advertisement