Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK support for EU membership hits new high

Options
  • 03-03-2015 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭

It appears that as the UK feels it's coming out of the crisis, its urge to jump ship from the EU has diminished:
    Britons would vote to remain in the EU by a 10 point margin, according to new polling published on Wednesday (25 February).
    Forty-five percent of Britons would back continued membership of the bloc, while 35 percent would vote to leave, according to pollsters YouGov. The lead for the ’IN’ campaign is the largest since YouGov began monthly polls on the question of EU membership in September 2010.

The growing support for EU membership, which is up from 42 percent last month, marks a big shift since the depths of the eurozone crisis in 2011 and 2012 when a majority of Britons favoured leaving the EU.

At its lowest, a mere 28 percent favoured continued membership in May 2012, when the ‘OUT’ campaign led by 23 points.

In its analysis of the data, YouGov notes that rising support for the UK’s EU membership has been mirrored by a steady increase in economic confidence in both the UK and eurozone economies.

“Just as many of the bumps in public opinion regarding the EU have coincided with critical moments in the Eurozone crisis and the Great Recession, support for the Union has risen more or less in tandem with rising economic confidence,” said YouGov in a statement accompanying the poll.

https://euobserver.com/beyond-brussels/127793

Perhaps not entirely surprising - most of the other trend indicators have been on the uptick recently as the economic news has become less grim, but it's still a surprisingly big swing.

I don't think one can claim that it's the result of some kind of UK media bias against the "leave the EU" side, either.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Scofflaw wrote: »
    It appears that as the UK feels it's coming out of the crisis, its urge to jump ship from the EU has diminished:

https://euobserver.com/beyond-brussels/127793

Perhaps not entirely surprising - most of the other trend indicators have been on the uptick recently as the economic news has become less grim, but it's still a surprisingly big swing.

I don't think one can claim that it's the result of some kind of UK media bias against the "leave the EU" side, either.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I would say that's exactly what has happened. Not that the brainiacs who vote for UKIP didn't help things either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭GSF

Or one poll could be an outrider. It there a consistent trend?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

GSF wrote: »

The trend is that a referendum would be a close run thing.

Overall more polls show favour for exiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

GSF wrote: »

A very noisy one:

OveralEU-3.png

Actually easier to see with one side or the other removed (they're largely mirror images):

10y1b85.gif

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Leaving the EU is a bit like Scotland leaving the UK. Someone in Scotland could loath London rule, but still not consider the upheaval and uncertainty worth the bother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,172 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Scofflaw wrote: »

I'd say that said bias played a significant role though.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'd say that said bias played a significant role though.
    Makes one wonder what such poll results would look like if British journalists actually did their job properly and gave an unbiased account of all matters EU-related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Still too much ignorance and silly nationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Hahahaha yeah right the euro is beaten so hard it is nearly level with the dollar and not far from crashing..
    Crack heads and their funny insights :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Xenophobia tends to increase during economic downturns, UKIP have peaked and they will probably be a damp squib in the upcoming general election.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,172 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

djpbarry wrote: »
    Makes one wonder what such poll results would look like if British journalists actually did their job properly and gave an unbiased account of all matters EU-related.

I'd be hesitant to even use the title "journalist" for most of them. As you say, it's certainly food for though.
    Xenophobia tends to increase during economic downturns, UKIP have peaked and they will probably be a damp squib in the upcoming general election.

I just don't see this coming to pass sadly. They're capitalising on the anger misdirected by the media away from tax dodging corporations and politicians towards immigrants and the poorest people in society.

I've noticed Nigel becoming a lot nicer with the election looming. Before he said he'd be concerned if a group of Romanians moved in next door. Now, he says he's after a points system similar to that used by the Australian and Canadian governments.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I'd be hesitant to even use the title "journalist" for most of them. As you say, it's certainly food for though.

I just don't see this coming to pass sadly. They're capitalising on the anger misdirected by the media away from tax dodging corporations and politicians towards immigrants and the poorest people in society.

I've noticed Nigel becoming a lot nicer with the election looming. Before he said he'd be concerned if a group of Romanians moved in next door. Now, he says he's after a points system similar to that used by the Australian and Canadian governments.

But what's the problem with him saying he would be concerned if a group of Romanians moved next door? Was it the shock of an honest politician? I mean if Trevor Phillips says "Romanians are more likely to be pick pockets" he is lauded as finally speaking the truth! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2996235/At-man-dares-tell-truth-race-Ex-race-tsar-says-silencing-debate-devastating-harm-Britain.html Or can he only tell the truth because he is not white and looking our vote?

If a gang of Roma gypsies moved in next to me I would be very concerned, and so would you, if I seen a gang of Pakistanis were showing intrest in my daughter I would be very concerned and so would you.

Hahahaha yeah right the euro is beaten so hard it is nearly level with the dollar and not far from crashing..
    The Euro was worth less than the dollar fifteen years ago. But guess what - we still have Euros.
    I don’t really see a great deal of support for UKIP outside of the likes of Kent. I’d be very surprised if all this media coverage of Nigel having a pint translates into a significant number of seats come election time. They’ll have aplenty of support in their Kent strongholds, but I’d be surprised if it spreads far beyond that.

gallag wrote: »
    But what's the problem with him saying he would be concerned if a group of Romanians moved next door?
    It’s xenophobic.
    I mean if Trevor Phillips says "Romanians are more likely to be pick pockets" he is lauded as finally speaking the truth! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2996235/At-man-dares-tell-truth-race-Ex-race-tsar-says-silencing-debate-devastating-harm-Britain.html Or can he only tell the truth because he is not white and looking our vote?
    I think that’s precisely the point he makes in the interview the article refers to. However, there is a huge difference between stating that “Romanians are far more likely to be pickpockets” and stating that the Romanian family who’ve just moved in next door are likely to be pickpockets. UKIP supporters seem to be incapable of telling the difference.
    If a gang of Roma gypsies moved in next to me I would be very concerned, and so would you…
    If they’re quieter than the noisy, spoilt Chelsea brats that currently live next door to me, I’d welcome them with open arms.

By the way Roma and Romanian are two very different things.
    if I seen a gang of Pakistanis were showing intrest in my daughter I would be very concerned and so would you.
    Because all Pakistanis are rapists? No evidence of xenophobia there.

It may be reassuring for you to know that my wife is half Pakistani and, as far as I am aware, none of her family have raped anyone as yet.

But what's the problem with him saying he would be concerned if a group of Romanians moved next door? Was it the shock of an honest politician? I mean if Trevor Phillips says "Romanians are more likely to be pick pockets" he is lauded as finally speaking the truth! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2996235/At-man-dares-tell-truth-race-Ex-race-tsar-says-silencing-debate-devastating-harm-Britain.html Or can he only tell the truth because he is not white and looking our vote?

If a gang of Roma gypsies moved in next to me I would be very concerned, and so would you, if I seen a gang of Pakistanis were showing intrest in my daughter I would be very concerned and so would you.

Do not presume to speak for me, especially when you’re spouting racist nonsense. You don’t see a problem with a politician coming out with stuff like this? And you’re using a Daily Mail article as a source? As djpbarry has said, it's Xenophobic, plain and simple.

You do know that there’s a difference between Roma and Romanians, right? The term “Roma” refers to a member of the Roma people while a “Romanian” is simply someone from the nation of Romania. If any gang showed an interest in my potential children then I’d be extremely concerned regardless of their skin colour/race/ethnicity.

H. H. Asquith

The Euro was worth less than the dollar fifteen years ago. But guess what - we still have Euros.
    I don’t really see a great deal of support for UKIP outside of the likes of Kent. I’d be very surprised if all this media coverage of Nigel having a pint translates into a significant number of seats come election time. They’ll have aplenty of support in their Kent strongholds, but I’d be surprised if it spreads far beyond that.

Honestly, I'd no idea that Kent was their stronghold. The media have painted them as this new political force to be reckoned with. I'm hoping that they don't win much support outside there.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

It’s xenophobic.
    I think that’s precisely the point he makes in the interview the article refers to. However, there is a huge difference between stating that “Romanians are far more likely to be pickpockets” and stating that the Romanian family who’ve just moved in next door are likely to be pickpockets. UKIP supporters seem to be incapable of telling the difference.
    If they’re quieter than the noisy, spoilt Chelsea brats that currently live next door to me, I’d welcome them with open arms.

By the way Roma and Romanian are two very different things.
    Because all Pakistanis are rapists? No evidence of xenophobia there.

It may be reassuring for you to know that my wife is half Pakistani and, as far as I am aware, none of her family have raped anyone as yet.

Haha, yes of course you would welcome them with open arms, you would not even let the thoughts of them statisticly being more likely to rob you even enter your right on mind! And you know rightly Farage was not talking about a "family" of Romanians moving next door, he was talking about a gang like seen on the TV show benefits street at the time prompting the comments, happening all over the country, 5 to a room and controlling 7% of the crime networks in the EU! But still, it wouldn't rase an eyebrow for you, just xenophobic racists like me! And where did I give you guys the impression I didn't understand the difference between the Roma and Romanians? Completely different race with there roots in India but they are still Romanians if the come from Romania like many do.

Also yes I would worry more about groups of Pakistanis grooming my daughter over any other group simply because they are more likely to do it, or is it only Phillips can say that also?

Haha, yes of course you would welcome them with open arms, you would not even let the thoughts of them statisticly being more likely to rob you even enter your right on mind! And you know rightly Farage was not talking about a "family" of Romanians moving next door, he was talking about a gang like seen on the TV show benefits street at the time prompting the comments, happening all over the country, 5 to a room and controlling 7% of the crime networks in the EU! But still, it wouldn't rase an eyebrow for you, just xenophobic racists like me! And where did I give you guys the impression I didn't understand the difference between the Roma and Romanians? Completely different race with there roots in India but they are still Romanians if the come from Romania like many do.

Also yes I would worry more about groups of Pakistanis grooming my daughter over any other group simply because they are more likely to do it, or is it only Phillips can say that also?

What statistics? That Daily Fail piece?

H. H. Asquith

The media have painted them as this new political force to be reckoned with.
    They have two seats in Westminster, less than 2% of all the local council seats in the country and yet some media outlets are seriously touting Farage as a potential prime minister. It’s ridiculous.

Haha, yes of course you would welcome them with open arms, you would not even let the thoughts of them statisticly being more likely to rob you even enter your right on mind!
    Thank you for illustrating my point beautifully.

• Advertisement

They have two seats in Westminster, less than 2% of all the local council seats in the country and yet some media outlets are seriously touting Farage as a potential prime minister. It’s ridiculous.

Whatever about the rest, the BBC have given UKIP far too much consideration whilst giving the Greens close to none. I'm not Green Party apologist and I enjoy watching the likes of Natalie "Gordon" Bennett crash and burn like anyone else. I'd just like to see some semblance to impartiality from the national broadcaster.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Whatever about the rest, the BBC have given UKIP far too much consideration whilst giving the Greens close to none. I'm not Green Party apologist and I enjoy watching the likes of Natalie "Gordon" Bennett crash and burn like anyone else. I'd just like to see some semblance to impartiality from the national broadcaster.

Unfortunately UKIP make for good press with their Clarkson like approach. Good but earnest Greens are boring or just terrible communicators.

micosoft wrote: »
    Unfortunately UKIP make for good press with their Clarkson like approach. Good but earnest Greens are boring or just terrible communicators.

Well, aside from not knowing their own policy to outright stupid policies like abolishing the Royal Navy & the RAF, the greens aren't likely to win a single seat.

Ukip will win about 10 or so.

So, while their attention is disproportionate, its more deserved than the greens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

micosoft wrote: »

Except Clarkson is very much pro Europe.

Well, aside from not knowing their own policy to outright stupid policies like abolishing the Royal Navy & the RAF, the greens aren't likely to win a single seat.

Ukip will win about 10 or so.

So, while their attention is disproportionate, its more deserved than the greens.

The Greens already have one seat. They've also raised a huge amount of money in a very short space of time to field more candidates. They have more members than UKIP and more MPs until Douglas Carswell and Mark Reckless defected. Even Bennett's train-wreck interviews have been met with huge amounts of support on Twitter.

I think it's a bit unfair to say that Bennett will immediately abolish the RAF and the Royal Navy should she become Prime Minister. It's a long term policy which would be achieved through downsizing. I don't think I agree with it but it's wrong to say that we'd lose the RAF and Navy overnight.

H. H. Asquith

I think it's a bit unfair to say that Bennett will immediately abolish the RAF and the Royal Navy should she become Prime Minister. It's a long term policy which would be achieved through downsizing. I don't think I agree with it but it's wrong to say that we'd lose the RAF and Navy overnight.

I stand corrected, They will have 1 MP.

I didn't say they would immediately eliminate the MOD, however that it is their policy at all says all that needs to be said about their stupidity...

(But that's for another thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I mean this is clearly filled with nonsense, but can you really not see the glaring flaw in logic of how the Romanian "family" or "gang" can afford to live next door to Farage? Or are you suggesting Farage lives on "benefits street"?

I mean this is clearly filled with nonsense, but can you really not see the glaring flaw in logic of how the Romanian "family" or "gang" can afford to live next door to Farage?
    Because there's 173 of them to a house, obviously.

Advertisement