Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Soccer team

Options
  • 02-03-2015 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

So after a great weekend for international Irish sport with Frampton's stunning display of arse-whoopery and the men in green facing down England, a few people in work got to talking about how Ireland does best in sports where we compete as one all-Ireland team.
    Generally people agreed that we performed better as one team but the stickler always seemed to be the soccer team, with fans of the six county side pretty much opposed to any union.
    So I was wondering, what does AH think of the idea of an all-Ireland soccer side.

And why is it that soccer fans in particular (although in my experience mainly unionist northern fans) are so opposed to the idea?

Personally I think it's cause of the northern team's associations with loyalism. This makes fans obviously opposed to an all Ireland team while some southern fans see the northern side and want nothing to do with them.

Anyway AH, have at it.

Should we have one All Ireland soccer team? 44 votes

Yes! One team! Sporting glory awaits!
    0% 0 votes
    Nooo, I like that Brazil chant too much
    45% 20 votes
    Nooo, sure the republic's already practically an AI team
    13% 6 votes
    Atari GAA
    40% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

So after a great weekend for international Irish sport with Frampton's stunning display of arse-whoopery and the men in green facing down England, a few people in work got to talking about how Ireland does best in sports where we compete as one all-Ireland team.
    Generally people agreed that we performed better as one team but the stickler always seemed to be the soccer team, with fans of the six county side pretty much opposed to any union.
    So I was wondering, what does AH think of the idea of an all-Ireland soccer side.

And why is it that soccer fans in particular (although in my experience mainly unionist northern fans) are so opposed to the idea?

Personally I think it's cause of the northern team's associations with loyalism. This makes fans obviously opposed to an all Ireland team while some southern fans see the northern side and want nothing to do with them.

Anyway AH, have at it.

Rugby twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I would be opposed. I wouldn't want to be sharing the stands with Love Ulster types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

I dunno, ask Willie Frazer what he thinks when he comes to Dublin with his friends

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

We do well in sports that don't have many countries participating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The North wouldn't want to be associated with the current low quality Republic side. They're doing grand on their own at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

Even if it were to happen, we'd still be terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Lovely voting options OP......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Lot easier be successful in a sport where there are little over a handful of countries that are actually any good as opposed to Ireland playing as one team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

coopdog85 wrote: »
    Rugby twat.

Haha. You really dont know me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Yes. That's the reason! It's definitely not because soccer is probably the most globally competitive team sport there is (or, at least far more competitive than the particular sports you referred to).

I mean, even if we did become an "All Ireland" soccer nation, I genuinely don't see many (if any) Northern getting into our team. Jonny Evans is of course one as we're mightily short in that department but after that, who else is there that would be a drastic increase on the our own side.

So, no, as I eluded to earlier, the issue is with the competitive nature of this team sport compared to others, and nothing to do with the "All Ireland" nature of the teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pretty overlooked fact, we (ROI) were the breakaway FA. The splinter group, if you will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Such a long post OP for a thread that won't last.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

lertsnim wrote: »
    I would be opposed. I wouldn't want to be sharing the stands with Love Ulster Northern Ireland types.

Fixed your post on behalf of the natives of Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Shure most NI eligible players coming on the scene are already opting for the ROI side anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

We were shíte for years in rugby under a one country team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

kfallon wrote: »
    We were shíte for years in rugby under a one country team.

True but we were still better at rugby than our football team was at football.
    And seriously I am sick of hearing this Shiite in pubs about tierry Henry handling the ball. Let's be honest. Even if it didn't happen we wouldnt of gotten far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Our football team in the 90's was relatively far stronger than our rugby team.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

And seriously I am sick of hearing this Shiite in pubs about tierry Henry handling the ball. Let's be honest. Even if it didn't happen we wouldnt of gotten far anyway.

From 87-94 we were better at football than rugby!

And thanks for mentioning that other thing, that's really stirring up a (very boring) hornet's nest even tho I pretty much agree with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The hardcore RoI fans are just as much against it. They look down on the NI team, referring to them as a "pub team", which is seriously rich when you look at the poor standard of play from the RoI team of late.

The biggest opposition to any merge would be the associations themselves. They punch well above their weight, particularly the IFA and a merge with the FAI would result in them losing that power.

Finally, the rugby team is doing well because they are professionals nowadays. They have been playing as one team for decades and they were wooden spoon candidates prior to professionalism. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are an all Ireland team.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wilberto wrote: »

I mean, even if we did become an "All Ireland" soccer nation, I genuinely don't see many (if any) Northern getting into our team. Jonny Evans is of course one as we're mightily short in that department but after that, who else is there that would be a drastic increase on the our own side.

Well , if the whole lot of them came in to our squad we'd be 16 places higher up the rankings :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I would love to see it, but it won't happen. It would need the IFA and FAI to merge and the turkey's are not thick enough to vote for Christmas and do themselves out of nice cushy prestigious well paid jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No, should remain separate as should all other sports IMO. Separate countries, separate teams regardless of the history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Couldn't happen without a single domestic league

COYVB wrote: »
    Couldn't happen without a single domestic league

Isnt there precedent for this though? Dont Derry play in the southern league? And I know for a fact Newry and Warrenpoint were considering it a number of years ago as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

Anyway AH, have at it.

Any decent Northern Player (even the mercenaries due to our Citizenship Rules) is automatically entitled to play for the Republic. (assuming they haven't been capped at Senior Level for NI). Many of them have crossed paths over the years, remember Alan Kernaghan ? (SP)

As bad as our team might be, none of the current NI team would get a sniff of the Republic Squad.

Status Quo, nick the good Northern Players.

Soccer has a different environment to the Rugby heads. We shouldn't pander to the soccer heads over the flag or anthems either. IFA, like in the past, would seek to dominate the FAI as well.

Saying that, I would definitely welcome an All Island domestic league

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

Wilberto wrote: »
    Yes. That's the reason! It's definitely not because soccer is probably the most globally competitive team sport there is (or, at least far more competitive than the particular sports you referred to).

So, no, as I eluded to earlier, the issue is with the competitive nature of this team sport compared to others, and nothing to do with the "All Ireland" nature of the teams.

Like the Rugby, there would end up being a batch of "political" selections to ensure Ulster got represented. Though, Boss, Bowe, Trimble and Ferris weren't political selections of course, they were there on merit

Like the Rugby, there would end up being a batch of "political" selections to ensure Ulster got represented. Though, Boss, Bowe, Trimble and Ferris weren't political selections of course, they were there on merit

Rugby is based on the 9 county province of Ulster. Hardly political then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Political selections have never happened on the Irish Rugby team. Not in the professional era anyway.

People saying that none of the NI players would get on the Irish team should take a quick look at the world rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The 2 sets of "home" fans running pitched battles in the stands would make quite the spectacle

• Advertisement

The 2 sets of "home" fans running pitched battles in the stands would make quite the spectacle

But they'd find it harder to identify each other now that they'd all be wearing the same jersey

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement