Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it reasonable for seller to ask for postage?

Options
  • 02-03-2015 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I received a defective product from eBay, I messaged the seller and in fairness they were helpful. They said they would send me a new product if I covered postage costs. Is it reasonable for the seller to ask for postage costs or am I just expecting too much?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You paid postage for an product not yet received. You should not pay again. Indeed the seller should cover costs if you are to send the defective item back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

You paid postage for an product not yet received. You should not pay again. Indeed the seller should cover costs if you are to send the defective item back as well.

Sorry I didn't explain it properly, I paid for the product, the product came but it was defective. The seller said he would send another product if I paid postage. Imo I don't think I should have to pay postage as I already paid for the product. Also the price for postage on the second item, is more than is listed in the ad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sorry I didn't explain it properly, I paid for the product, the product came but it was defective. The seller said he would send another product if I paid postage. Imo I don't think I should have to pay postage as I already paid for the product. Also the price for postage on the second item, is more than is listed in the ad!

That's what I meant. You did not receive what you paid for as it is defective. I assume it was defective when it arrived. You should not pay again for delivery.

That's what I meant. You did not receive what you paid for as it is defective. I assume it was defective when it arrived. You should not pay again for delivery.

I don't feel should either, at very least I should get a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Under consumer law you are entitled to have shipping costs covered by the seller when getting a replacement, i.e. either the seller pays or refunds you the cost. However if the seller is outside the EU this might not be enforceable.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote:
    Under consumer law you are entitled to have shipping costs covered by the seller when getting a replacement, i.e. either the seller pays or refunds you the cost. However if the seller is outside the EU this might not be enforceable.

Seller is from UK, I'll fight my corner and see how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

slimjimmc wrote: »

Does any of that apply if it's just person to person though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Does any of that apply if it's just person to person though?
    No. Consumer law only applies to consumers (i.e. private person buying from a business), it doesn't apply to private sales. The OP hasn't stated if this is a private or business seller but since the OP is will be provided with a replacement product there's a good chance the seller is operating as a business.

It also doesn't apply if the OP is buying as a business.

slimjimmc wrote:
    No. Consumer law only applies to consumers (i.e. private person buying from a business), it doesn't apply to private sales. The OP hasn't stated if this is a private or business seller but since the OP is will be provided with a replacement product there's a good chance the seller is operating as a business.

slimjimmc wrote:
    It also doesn't apply if the OP is buying as a business.

I'm buying as a private individual and the seller by the looks if things is selling as a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Message the seller to say you are going to leave negative feedback unless a replacement is sent at their expense.

• Advertisement

boardzz wrote:
    Message the seller to say you are going to leave negative feedback unless a replacement is sent at their expense.

seller agreed to cover postage costs!

Advertisement