Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac newbie, buying a Mac Mini and have a question or two

Options
  • 02-03-2015 6:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭

After much thinking about it Im finally going to dip my toe into the world of the Mac with the purchase of a Mini. It comes with 4 USB ports and I was wondering if it can be expanded with a powered USB "7 out" hub from the likes of Belkin if I want to expand it for audio?

Also, how are these specs for music production and a general workhorse?

1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

4GB memory

500GB hard drive
    Thunderbolt 2 ports (up to 20 Gbps)

HDMI port supports multichannel audio output

Intel HD Graphics 5000

The Mac Im being offered has 4Gb of Ram and I was wondering if it's easy to upgrade it yourself?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

If you're set on mac, then the mini is a good entry level option. While it depends on your specific requirements, your spec should be fine for getting into recording. I use a powered Belkin FW hub with my macbook pro recording setup and it works fine (connected to midi keyboard, externals drives etc).

Its a doddle to change the ram on mac minis (just unscrew the base). See here...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Steve King

Thanks for that. I think I read somewhere though that the newst models are much more difficult to get into, the model in the video is from 2012.

Thats great to hear about the Belkin hub ZV Yoda. I'll be using it mostly to give Abelton and Logic Pro a proper go.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

iFixit has precise disassembly and reassembly instructions for every model of Mac

Advertisement