Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion Regs

Options
  • 02-03-2015 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a query regarding an attic conversion. We want to convert the attic of our detached single storey house. The attic is at the moment a shell with floor, ceilings, roof windows, radiators, lights, fire alarm etc already enclosed accessed by a stira. We want to build two rooms upstairs and a bathroom. These rooms will not be habitable. We want to add two dormer windows and a roof window to the front, a window to the gable and add a permanent staircase.
    My question is;
    1. regarding planning is it only the dormers and windows that we need planning for as all of the other works are internal.
    2. Do we need to comply with all other building regulations for these works bearing in mind that the extra two rooms upstairs are not habitable.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

You might as well apply for conversion of the attic to habitable space as well, the cost of the application would be about the same.

It's not up to you whether you regard the rooms habitable or not. If the space has dormer windows and a bathroom, it would be difficult to argue that it is not habitable. You could run into serious problems if you were to sell the house in the future.

It would also be evident in your planning drawings if you did not intend to comply with building regs in terms of stairs, heights, etc and the planning authority may question it

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭maddladd

Hi Thanks for the post- the rooms will not be habitable as they do not have the required size to be habitable, i.e. the minimum height of the rooms will not be high enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Put Velux windows in to the rear and forget about the dormers-planning exempt then. If you are putting in a bathroom then it must comply with the regs including proper access by a proper stairs and a fire/smoke alarm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Put Velux windows in to the rear and forget about the dormers-planning exempt then. If you are putting in a bathroom then it must comply with the regs including proper access by a proper stairs and a fire/smoke alarm.

even without the bathroom, it should contain escapable windows, extended fire alarm and detection and a fire door into the attic along with adequate structural floor with the required fire resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

kceire wrote: »
    even without the bathroom, it should contain escapable windows, extended fire alarm and detection and a fire door into the attic along with adequate structural floor with the required fire resistance.

Only if its a habitable space under constant use as defined by building regs.

If as was suggested earlier it is simply used for "storage" then no as then is is simply a loft with a floor and a Velux.

• Advertisement

Only if its a habitable space under constant use as defined by building regs.

If as was suggested earlier it is simply used for "storage" then no as then is is simply a loft with a floor and a Velux.

aslong as it has no permanent stairs then I agree.
    Once the permanent stairs is there, the room will be used, so best make it as safe as can be.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,264 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

maddladd wrote: »
    Hi Thanks for the post- the rooms will not be habitable as they do not have the required size to be habitable, i.e. the minimum height of the rooms will not be high enough.

thats regardless...

its the USE of the rooms that determines whether their habitable or not.

if i went to a house that had a converted attic with:

1. a fixed stairs
    2. a heating system in the rooms
    3. natural and electric lighting
    4. a bathroom on the level
    5. insulated walls and ceiling
    6. plastered decorated walls etc

youd be very hard pressed to argue its not habitable.

if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck.... its a ......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sydthebeat wrote: »
    if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck.... its a ......

As I posted in one of the other threads on this subject, a fire officer said to me in the past, that if your mother can get up there, it's habitable!

Part B of the Building Regulations (in relation to fire) simply states that a habitable room is...'a room used for living or sleeping purposes'.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    As I posted in one of the other threads on this subject, a fire officer said to me in the past, that if your mother can get up there, it's habitable!

Part B of the Building Regulations (in relation to fire) simply states that a habitable room is...'a room used for living or sleeping purposes'.

+1

People think, agh sure i'll mark the drawings as a store, i'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We just did this, you have to have the fire escape windows if your planning to allow people use the room, ie as a games room, gym, tv room etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

We just did this, you have to have the fire escape windows if your planning to allow people use the room, ie as a games room, gym, tv room etc.
    was ur gaff a single storey before, like the OP's gaff?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

was ur gaff a single storey before, like the OP's gaff?

I think we all need to go to specsavers :)
    Didn't even notice the single store element. Although any habitable rooms in the new attic will still need escapeable window. Fire doors are not required in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

If an attic has two stairs say a fixed and a stira does it need to have velux fire escape windows or would standard velux windows suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,412 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What size is your garden ? A ground floor extension may be better.

ted1 wrote: »
    What size is your garden ? A ground floor extension may be better.

Is that directed at me ?? If so only looking for an answer to the above. Also what is the minimum allowable height for habitable space in an attic.

hexosan wrote: »
    If an attic has two stairs say a fixed and a stira does it need to have velux fire escape windows or would standard velux windows suffice.

Short answer is yes. Plus a fire door set, alarm and detection and you will need to fire seal the additional hatch too from the floor below.
    hexosan wrote: »
    Is that directed at me ?? If so only looking for an answer to the above. Also what is the minimum allowable height for habitable space in an attic.

Minimum heights are not specified, but 2.4m is the recommended. In attics you also need to conform with the ventilation triangle in technical guidance document part F, that's the biggest issue with habitable rooms in loft spaces.

kceire wrote: »
    Short answer is yes. Plus a fire door set, alarm and detection and you will need to fire seal the additional hatch too from the floor below.

Minimum heights are not specified, but 2.4m is the recommended. In attics you also need to conform with the ventilation triangle in technical guidance document part F, that's the biggest issue with habitable rooms in loft spaces.

Thanks that's the answer I was looking for.

Advertisement