Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarettes & Chocolate

Options
  • 02-03-2015 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

When I was a wee nipper snapper. My dad would drive to his local of a Saturday for a pint or 10. I'd stay up watching either Rte 1 or Rte 2. Usually Rte 2 as they had Taxi, Fawlty Towers and the like on at about 11.

He'd always bring me home a chocolate bar. Aero in particular as my taste buds and sense of decorum were too advanced for snack bars and the like, even at that young age.

As you were allowed smoke in pubs in those times. The aero bars he brought home stunk of smoke, and to be honest tasted a bit tangy from seeping in that silky vapour all night, possibly all week...and damn it was good. Far better than a bar you'd get in a shop.

So I'm thinking I buy a few bars today and a pack of 20. Fill my kitchen with smoke and leave the bars over night, maybe two nights to revive this long forgotten delicacy.

I've a feeling the results just won't be the same. Be far simpler if you could buy this bar pre-smoked like the good ol' days.

Anyone live with a smoker and has stinky aero bars? Is it the same as the old pub chocolate taste? wanna sell me it for thrice the price? :pac:

Tl:dr Chocolate + pub smoke = Nicer chocolate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

That sounds disgusting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

You need to change your name to Smoky Aero.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Now if we could only simulate the stink of rat piss on the bottles of coke in the pub cellar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People say it's just nostalgia but things did taste better back then because of second hand smoke.

I actually keep a jar of carcinogens on my spice rack - you ain't tasted chilli until you've tasted AnonoBoy's Lung Cancer Chilli!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

If you dig deeper, the chocolate bar never existed & is hiding the trauma of being the child of an alcoholic......

Or not.....!

This could be a tale of bad tasting choco-nicco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Tilly wrote: »
    That sounds disgusting!

I know ya but Rte 1 & 2 is all we had back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Tayto crisps my dad brought home from t'Woolpack on Friday nights were the best crisps ever. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Overnight ? Some of them chocolates be in that smoke for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Overnight ? Some of them chocolates be in that smoke for months.

You're probably right. Maybe I should invest in an oak barrel and let the bars mature for a few months. Could be the best thing I've ever done in my life. I've a young fella now whose never taste old pub bars. I'd like him to have the same luxuries I had when I was his age.

jimgoose wrote: »
    The Tayto crisps my dad brought home from t'Woolpack on Friday nights were the best crisps ever. :D

The only crisps that my dads local sold were 'King Pub size' crisps which were not sold in shops. So had a much nicer 'exclusive' taste to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

The only crisps that my dads local sold were 'King Pub size' crisps which were not sold in shops. So had a much nicer 'exclusive' taste to them.
    They were the best on crisps sambos. And a pint of milk.

Tilly wrote: »
    They were the best on crisps sambos. And a pint of milk.

Both of which they would give you in my dads local.
    But ask for a fizzy pop and you would get a clip round the ear - from the barman!

Ah, great days!

Advertisement