If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Tax Rate for First Time Working, Student Internship

  • 01-03-2015 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

    Hi everybody,

    I'll be commencing work placement as part of my college course soon and I'm having trouble predicting my tax rate. I have no prior experience with the tax system as I haven't previously held employment. Could anyone shed some light on this? If there are more details required just ask and I'll provide them.

    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

    In Ireland in 2015 you can earn up to 16,500 before you pay income tax.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dilzerjsl

    I'll be working only 6 months and so I won't make that amount in that time period. However, were I working a full year, I would surpass that amount. Would I be taxed based on predictions for a full year or would I not be taxed at all?

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,321 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

    Note that I am not talkng about PRSI or USC, only income tax.

    It's cumulative, so if you earn more than 16500/12 in a month, then you will pay tax.

    If you then earn less than 16,500 / 12 in another month, you'll get some tax back through payroll.

    If you earn, say, 15k over 6 month, then you will pay tax, yes.

  • Registered Users Posts: 59,597 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

    You can also check the tax calculation thread for various calculator websites or my spreadsheet downloadable from my signature.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dilzerjsl

    Thank you both :D

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

    You should also register for paye-anytime at and then you can see/manage your tax credits / tax rates , and lots more .

    If you have medical card , inform employer / revenue , and you pay reduced rate USC .