Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What inspires you

Options
  • 01-03-2015 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

The outdoors, nature. The transition of the sky from day to night, those beautiful colours. Hearing a song that resonates with you, not just because it's you find it's catchy, but that it makes you think, makes you more perceptive.

Comments

People. Different kinds of people.

People who go through hell and still manage to make the best of life. People who have a positive attitude no matter what life throws at them. They inspire me to keep on going and to keep fighting when life gets hard.

People who work hard to achieve their goals and don't give up when it gets really tough. They inspire me to achieve my goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Probably sounds crass but a calm bright day with the sun glinting off the river as I fly fish. The dash of a kingfisher perhaps or coming across an otter. Seeing nature all around me and feeling the sun on my back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Seeing a disabled person get up out of their wheelchair and start to weakly walk and sometimes eventually going into a full sprint.

Truely inspirational

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Knowing that one hundred years ago all my great grandparents were all living off very small farms but they inspired my grand parents to do better....and they inspired my parents to do better again and here I am, trying to do better again and inspire my son to carry it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,581 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Being better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Tubridy's cancer victims,every time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Knowing that once you're gone, you're gone and that there is nothing else.

So live life to its fullest as you'll never get another spin.

Acquire knowledge, learn from mistakes, work to your best, have fun and be nice.

That does it for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheOtherMan

The fact that you very rarely get a 2nd chance so If it feels right just go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Making a difference in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Worrying about what the neighbours think. Sometimes I sit up until 6.30 am to cut the lawn so the neighbours will think I'm an early riser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

What inspires me is seeing people do well for themselves yet never forgetting their family or where they were reared. Also I know people with disabilities who never ever complain although I know they are going through hell. It amazes me how they cope every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

People who are not afraid to go against the tide and say what they believe, such as "Can we rename this thread Examples of Banal Californian Hippy **** from the 1970s"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Worrying about what the neighbours think. Sometimes I sit up until 6.30 am to cut the lawn so the neighbours will think I'm an early riser.

My cousins neighbour milks the cows at 2 o clock in the morning, be a normal sight to see him ploughing the field or on the digger at drains at 3 o clock in the morning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Honesty and integrity.

So I'm not inspired very often!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

The world. Being able to walk outside and see how extraordinary this little planet we live on is. The silence. The tree you look at. Teaming with life.

Making money. I love what I do. I've made huge sacrifices in my life to be where I am now. Could I have played for the Galway hurling team? Perhaps. I'd have tried as hard as I could. Character.

Mindfulness. To stop, focus on the breathe and be. Jon Kabat-Zinn is someone who truly inspires me.

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    My cousins neighbour milks the cows at 2 o clock in the morning, be a normal sight to see him ploughing the field or on the digger at drains at 3 o clock in the morning.
    Few like that around here too. Nothing worse than having your midnight court down a quiet loning interrupted by a vampire farmer with a bale lifter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Fear of homelessness, the wife, and the awful noises the kids make when hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Rust has been a life long inspiration for me. Most recently I've turned to decaying wood.

Do people still worry about what the neighbours think. I couldn't honestly give two monkeys what they think.
    I know years ago growing up my parents were terrible We cant do this or that what would the neighbours think. Even when my brother got married him and his partner wanted a quiet family wedding well there was uproar.
    You have to invite Tom Dick and Harry or what will they think.
    They were not invited and the parents were not happy bunnies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Seeing a disabled person get up out of their wheelchair and start to weakly walk and sometimes eventually going into a full sprint.

Truely inspirational

I love Trading Places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

People who are not afraid to go against the tide and say what they believe, such as "Can we rename this thread Examples of Banal Californian Hippy **** from the 1970s"

You sure you got your decade right? The love revolution actually began in the late 60s. Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

anncoates wrote: »
    I love Trading Places too.

Eh?

Like musical chairs?

lulu1 wrote: »
    Do people still worry about what the neighbours think. I couldn't honestly give two monkeys what they think.
    I know years ago growing up my parents were terrible We cant do this or that what would the neighbours think. Even when my brother got married him and his partner wanted a quiet family wedding well there was uproar.
    You have to invite Tom Dick and Harry or what will they think.
    They were not invited and the parents were not happy bunnies
    Yeah I worry about it constantly, it's tiring work, but all worth it when you are 'seen' at a wake or a funeral, when you don't be in the pub on a weekday, or when your washing line is kept perfectly hidden from public view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

You sure you got your decade right? The love revolution actually began in the late 60s. Peace

It did, brother in flowers, but the heavy commercial element only really got going in the 70s - even though the moon was no longer in the seventh house, and Jupiter was misaligned with Mars.

For the people on here who are inspired by disabled folks, check out Nic Vujicic. He da man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

CJ Haughey wrote: »

He's not inspirational, he's just a fcukin moron

Yeah I worry about it constantly, it's tiring work, but all worth it when you are 'seen' at a wake or a funeral, when you don't be in the pub on a weekday, or when your washing line is kept perfectly hidden from public view.

I agree If its the last thing you do you must make sure you are seen at the wake and shake hands with a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It did, brother in flowers, but the heavy commercial element only really got going in the 70s - even though the moon was no longer in the seventh house, and Jupiter was misaligned with Mars.

For the people on here who are inspired by disabled folks, check out Nic Vujicic. He da man.

Counter-culture became big money, something to sell, which is ironic in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

The world. Being able to walk outside and see how extraordinary this little planet we live on is. The silence. The tree you look at. Teaming with life.

Making money. I love what I do. I've made huge sacrifices in my life to be where I am now. Could I have played for the Galway hurling team? Perhaps. I'd have tried as hard as I could. Character.

Mindfulness. To stop, focus on the breathe and be. Jon Kabat-Zinn is someone who truly inspires me.

Away and take your face for a shyte.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

Away and take your face for a shyte.

Clontarf must have come on a bit in the last few years.. :)

Advertisement