Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can only use TOR to connect to internet

Options
  • 01-03-2015 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I recently upgrade my broadband to Digiweb Metro. Not happy with it, anyway thats a different story. The biggest issue with it however is trying to connect to the internet. I have Chrome, Safari and IE browsers but most of the time (maybe 9/10 times) I cannot connect to the net using them. Pages keep timing out and I keep getting "This Webpage Not Available" or "Cannot Connect" messages.

However, I also have a Firefox Browser thats connected to the TOR Network that I generally only use while travelling or when behind my work network firewall. Using this, I have no issues at all. Every page loads up lightning quick and nothing times out.

What could be causing this problem? I would rather use Chrome as my default browser but obviously can't if it does not connect. Does my ISP have some description of traffic analysis software that could be slowing down my legitimate connections? And is there any way I can amend my network settings to resolve it without going to Digiweb?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

DNS issue perhaps? Tor sends DNS requests out to the exit node so it might explain why it's working.

Can you set your DNS on your computer to use the google DNS as a test? 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭astonvanilla

Khannie wrote: »
    Can you set your DNS on your computer to use the google DNS as a test? 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Hi, I changed that setting last night and it didn't make a difference. I restarted my machine after changing and tried a good few times to connect but had no joy. I changed DNS back to "automatic" and I had a brief period of connectivity through Chrome only to be timing-out again.

I've deactivated all plugins to Chrome that may be impeding speed but this also did not make any difference.

Advertisement