Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to change from Airtricity to Prepay Power when you have gas + electric

Options
  • 01-03-2015 6:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Is it possible to change from Airtricity to Prepay Power when you have gas + electric with Airtricity? We currently have a monthly bill, which is estimated, so the same every month. However, the amount seems quite high.

Is is possible to change to Prepay Power from Airtricity when you have electric and gas with Airtricity?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Prepay Power has a reputation of being expensive, so shop around - there are various suppliers that offer pre-pay options.

http://www.uswitch.ie/gas-electricity/
    https://www.electricireland.ie/switchchange/allPricePlans.htm
    http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/payasyougo/
    http://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/about-us/customer-charter-and-codes-of-practice/pre-paid-meters/

Make sure your contract with Airtricity is finished or there may be costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

+1

And get actual meter readings. Bills should not be constantly estimated, as you may owe substantially more than you think or even be owed money.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you are concerned about bills being high but are in a position to pay them, you should not even consider a prepay option. Your bills will be higher again then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ash777 wrote: »
    Is it possible to change from Airtricity to Prepay Power when you have gas + electric with Airtricity? We currently have a monthly bill, which is estimated, so the same every month. However, the amount seems quite high.

Is is possible to change to Prepay Power from Airtricity when you have electric and gas with Airtricity?

Thanks!!

Don't go prepay , it's more than 20% dearer. You pay the standard rate without the discounts that all providers offer. ( if you discount has expired then move supplier)
    You also pay an additional daily meter charge.

Would you do your weekly shop in a centra?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Airtricity expect the customer to do meter readings, they tend to give you a reminder to submit one in advance of the bill being produced.

• Advertisement

Airtricity expect the customer to do meter readings, they tend to give you a reminder to submit one in advance of the bill being produced.

ESB take the meter readings and provide them to the supplier, their charter says you should get 4 reads a year.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

ted1 wrote: »
    ESB take the meter readings and provide them to the supplier, their charter says you should get 4 reads a year.

When I was with them I never got an actual read. The bills were always estimated. Could be a timing issue that esb would do a reading but it wouldn't sync up with the bill issue.

When I was with them I never got an actual read. The bills were always estimated. Could be a timing issue that esb would do a reading but it wouldn't sync up with the bill issue.
    I'd put it down to incompetence on Artricity side.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Junglewoman

Submit a meter reading and find out exactly what you are paying otherwise you won't be able to make accurate comparisons. Remember you may have overpaid rather than underpaid. I neglected to submit gas meter readings for a long time and when I finally did I was over €700 in credit which was refunded to me by cheque very swiftly.

Advertisement