Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is minimum acceptable fire/evacuation signage for my small business situation?

Options
  • 28-02-2015 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hello all
    I'm in the process of refurbishing a small simple single storey building, no new extensions/changes to the fundamentals of the building as such just have some roof, internals like a couple of new ceilings doors and windows, redecoration.

It used to be a bakery and I will be continuing that business eventually.

Initially we will run it ourselves within the family and eventually once we are running properly the plan is I will employ 2 staff.

Layoutwise it is literally a couple of rooms - a small traditional shop front area directly onto the main street with a single door leading directly to the kitchen/baking room behind it. There is a small bathroom at the rear for anyone working there with a small storage room, in total its about 700sq feet.

Here is my problem, I'm on a tight budget & I would like to establish what minimum signage and evacuation facilities I have to provide in the building EXACTLY.

Some people e.g. an electrician are advising me that I have to install over €2000 worth of gear including lit ceiling/wall hung Exit lights signs over the doors (3), emergency lighting, wired smoke detectors (3) into a fire alarm with a break in case of emergency panel. Others have told me this is nonsense, that for a situation as small as mine some simple stick on wall highly phosphorescent exit signs over the doors and a couple of X10 type smoke detectors (the building already has an Eircom phonewatch type alarm present) for about €150

Can anyone advise me please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

martco wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me please?

Ask your would be insurance provider. For they will or will not pay out in the event of a claim depending on such things the "min acceptable" protection.

Fire alarm , emergency exit lighting are required to comply with building regulations. If you use hot oil - for donuts lets say - you will also need a fire suppresion system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

If the building is to be used for commercial purposes, should it not have a Fire Safety Cert?
    The person compiling the FSC will determine your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here's an FAQ from Dublin City Council that might give more insight. Every building is different so it's hard to say what's required in your case. Best to get professional advice.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-water-waste-and-environment-dublin-fire-brigade-and-ambulance-service-fire-safe-8

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Speak with your local fire officer or get a fire engineer to advise you-then you know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Speak with your local fire officer or get a fire engineer to advise you-then you know for sure.

Your electrician is basically correct, you'll need illuminated exit signs and emergency lighting as well as a L3 fire detection and alarm system complying with IS3218.
    Non-illuminated exit signs or domestic smoke alarms won't cut it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement