Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting/Economics or History?

Options
  • 28-02-2015 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello,
    I'm in TY and I'm currently picking my subjects for leaving cert. I have decided on French, biology and chemistry, however I am not sure what I will pick as my fourth option. I am doing biology and chemistry because they interest me, I got an A in the junior cert science, and genetics and pharmacy courses are very interesting and you need to do biology for genetics and chemistry for pharmacy. I am not considering business because the theory bores me and I'm not sure on economics. Economics sounds interesting but I have been told it involves a load of graphs and the A1% is 3.6% which is very low. I also got an A in English, history and business studies in the junior cert so I'm not sure if I should do accounting or history. I did all the optional accounting questions for the junior cert and found most of them easy but I also really enjoyed history particularly the third year course. However I have read that the history exam can go really well or really bad depending on what you learn.. I also hope that accounting would not be impossible to comprehend. I got a B in maths in the junior cert and am not sure how hard it will be (I did all higher level junior cert subjects.) I am hoping for high points in the leaving cert and would like to pick in history/accounting a subject I could be able to get an A1 in. I want to keep my options open for college and at the moment think I may do a science course or law however my opinion changes every week!
    Thank you for reading and I hope that anyone who has done/is doing accounting and/or history will read this and tell me of their opinion.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

I myself do not do these subjects nor am I a fifth or sixth year but I think I can help answer. :)

If you are considering Pharmacy as a career, alot of Pharmacists work in Community Pharmacies which is essentially a business. After My recent work experience in a community pharmacy, I was told that it would be useful to have knowledge of business/ accounting, as you are trying to earn money for your business. However, it is no way necessary to do accounting to be a pharmacist, As they can be employed in Hospitals, Pharmaceutical companies, etc.

History may not be relevant to a career in genetics/ Pharmacy, but if you enjoy it I would suggest you do it. You say you enjoyed the 3rd year course, which is focused on a lot more in the leaving cert. Also, History develops your writing and langauge skills which would be helpful for Law. if you are interested in it, you will probably get a high grade.

The majority of people I know who do history love it, but a lot the people I know who do accounting don't like it.

I would pick history if I were you. Good luck with whatever you choose. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Eoghanc2

NOS3 wrote: »
    I myself do not do these subjects nor am I a fifth or sixth year but I think I can help answer. :)

If you are considering Pharmacy as a career, alot of Pharmacists work in Community Pharmacies which is essentially a business. After My recent work experience in a community pharmacy, I was told that it would be useful to have knowledge of business/ accounting, as you are trying to earn money for your business. However, it is no way necessary to do accounting to be a pharmacist, As they can be employed in Hospitals, Pharmaceutical companies, etc.

History may not be relevant to a career in genetics/ Pharmacy, but if you enjoy it I would suggest you do it. You say you enjoyed the 3rd year course, which is focused on a lot more in the leaving cert. Also, History develops your writing and langauge skills which would be helpful for Law. if you are interested in it, you will probably get a high grade.

The majority of people I know who do history love it, but a lot the people I know who do accounting don't like it.

I would pick history if I were you. Good luck with whatever you choose. :)

I will bear all this in mind and having another perspective really helps :) much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

"The National Results for students sitting the Accounting Higher Level Paper in 2012 are:
    ◾Students achieving a grade A 20.5%
    ◾Students achieving a grade B 35.3%
    ◾Students achieving a grade C 22.9%"
    That's from my school website, i cant post URL's. Accounting is a really good subject in my opinion, if you enjoyed JC accounting then that's a good indication if you'll enjoy LC accounting. It's quite good to get a good result as its very repetitive and predictable. Having a good teacher is very important too so I'd check at if the teachers good in your school. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Eoghanc2

user53 wrote: »
    "The National Results for students sitting the Accounting Higher Level Paper in 2012 are:
    ◾Students achieving a grade A 20.5%
    ◾Students achieving a grade B 35.3%
    ◾Students achieving a grade C 22.9%"
    That's from my school website, i cant post URL's. Accounting is a really good subject in my opinion, if you enjoyed JC accounting then that's a good indication if you'll enjoy LC accounting. It's quite good to get a good result as its very repetitive and predictable. Having a good teacher is very important too so I'd check at if the teachers good in your school. :)

The accounting teacher in my school is one of the best teachers, thanks for your help I think I'll end up picking accounting as a break from learning definitions for biology etc. For accounting I think if I constantly re-do exam questions it shouldn't be too hard to learn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Eoghanc2 wrote: »
    The accounting teacher in my school is one of the best teachers, thanks for your help I think I'll end up picking accounting as a break from learning definitions for biology etc. For accounting I think if I constantly re-do exam questions it shouldn't be too hard to learn :)

Yeah i do Biology,Geography and Accounting and its really nice to have a break from the essay writing/definitions type subjects :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 emma9

I do French, Biology, Chemistry and Accounting and accounting is definitely my favourite. It's nice to have a subject with nothing really to learn, you just have to practice the questions. Since you liked JC accounting you will probably like LC accounting too. The fact that you did all the accounting questions in your JC business exam shows that you enjoy it and are probably good at it too.

Advertisement