Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squeaky door

Options
  • 28-02-2015 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

not sure if thats the right subforum, but lets give it a try.

so i have a door in my apartment that has 3 hinges. not these type of hinges that open up a bit when you open the door.

an image of one of the hinges: http://i.imgur.com/HmbCkGF.jpg

so i assume one of them is causing the squeak. i already but like half a bottle of wd40 on all of them, but its not possible to actually get it inside properly.

is there a trick on how to wd40 these type of hinges myself? i kinda dont want to tell my landlord to disassemble and "fix" the door for this minor thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

WD40 is a 'penetrant'. Its for loosening bolts etc. not really designed to lubricate. You need a lubricant like grease. Motor factors is probably the best place to get some. Just explain to them what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

you shoud get a small 250ml tin of lube oil in any diy store,even a decent tesco will have it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Are you sure its the hinges ?
    More likely its where the top or bottom of the door is touching the floor or even doorframe. Is there a rubber seal at the bottom ?

Otherwise, it could be the hinges are not properly aligned with each other, or the door is warped.
    Loosen off the screws on each hinge, one at a time and that will tell you which one is squeeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭dodzy

Just spraying the WD40 at each of the hinges, one at a time, should identify the culprit ( if it is indeed a hinge squeak ) and then I'd apply grease for a more long term affect. If the WD40 was applied liberally and had no effect, then i'd say the problem is elsewhere.

I would have thought a hinge was the most likely cause though. Don't be afraid to soak them. And after each dosing, swing the door back & forth several times (quickly) to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

whizbang wrote: »
    Are you sure its the hinges ?
    More likely its where the top or bottom of the door is touching the floor or even doorframe. Is there a rubber seal at the bottom ?

Otherwise, it could be the hinges are not properly aligned with each other, or the door is warped.
    Loosen off the screws on each hinge, one at a time and that will tell you which one is squeeking.

i am not 100% sure its the hinges! but the door, when swinging, is not touching either the floor/door frame or the frame on top.

i might try loosening the screws, thanks for the tip!
    dodzy wrote: »
    Just spraying the WD40 at each of the hinges, one at a time, should identify the culprit ( if it is indeed a hinge squeak ) and then I'd apply grease for a more long term affect. If the WD40 was applied liberally and had no effect, then i'd say the problem is elsewhere.

I would have thought a hinge was the most likely cause though. Don't be afraid to soak them. And after each dosing, swing the door back & forth several times (quickly) to check.

yes i have nearly emptied a whole bottle of wd40 on the door. and i do swing the door back and forth, but it seems the kind of hinge it is doesnt allow the wd40 to get inside properly. our bathroom door was squeaking too, bit it has these kind of hinges that open up vertically when the door is opened, so it was easy to get the wd40 inside. and it helped. but as you can maybe see from the image, these hinges stay closed like that no matter if the door is opened or closed.
    i also put a lot of wd40 on the chain (why are these door-chains a thing in this country anyway?), but it didnt help either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭dodzy

The door chain is for auto-closure >>> fire protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

If the hinges are the culprit forget about WD40, just rub a little light mineral oil (3-in-1 oilor sewing machine oil) into each hinge "knuckle" with your finger, swing the door open and shut a few times to work the oil in and wipe off excess with a paper towel. The slightest bit of oil will cure a squeaking hinge, no need for grease on internal door hinges. If the noise is due to the door catching or rubbing on the frame then you may need to shave a fraction from the offending part with a plane but a light rub with sandpaper may remove a little paint build-up and that might be all you'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

Talcum powder also works..... sounds weird but it's true. Try and work a little into the joints of the hinge and voila!!

Advertisement