Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy low price item

Options
  • 27-02-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭

this is theoretical.

See an item online at ridiculously low price lets say 50e instead of 500e. order it. Pay for it. company sees a mistake, gives you back money, we have a grumble but thats all good and fair, youre not entitled to it.

what if the company ships the product and only after you take delivery of it sees the fact they made a mistake on the pricing. you may have opened it, gave it to someone else, broke it, be using it etc now where are we?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It depends on the T&Cs attached to the sale. Most retailers now consider the sale complete when the goods ship. In that case, I couldn't imagine that they could charge for more.

But it all depends on the T&Cs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

this is theoretical.

See an item online at ridiculously low price lets say 50e instead of 500e. order it. Pay for it. company sees a mistake, gives you back money, we have a grumble but thats all good and fair, youre not entitled to it.

what if the company ships the product and only after you take delivery of it sees the fact they made a mistake on the pricing. you may have opened it, gave it to someone else, broke it, be using it etc now where are we?

You would still be responsible if the company could prove that you knew it was an "impossible" price and therefore abused the error and it would potentially lead you open to a charge of fraud or obtaining goods through a dishonest act.

The scenario is hardly likely to happen, but if the company did want to be pednatic and if they did want to take a court case on it (civil matter), you would have to prove that the price and the circumstances had applied previosuly with a similar item on any other valid site / retail store.

Example - if it was an airline seat, you could show that some airlines sell tickets at 99c and therefore you have proven that the price offered could have been a valid price. However if it was a 50" LED TV for sale at 50p, it would be extremely difficult to defend yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

delahuntv wrote: »
    You would still be responsible if the company could prove that you knew it was an "impossible" price and therefore abused the error and it would potentially lead you open to a charge of fraud or obtaining goods through a dishonest act.
    Have you ever heard of such a case with an online shop?

I got a bluray player for €0.87 from pixmania, with postage it was €16.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you ever heard of such a case with an online shop?

I got a bluray player for €0.87 from pixmania, with postage it was €16.

do companys not do this to get around taxes.

i heard they basically just swap the charges. The postage should be 87c and the player €16 but at current price they'd have to pay less taxes for the 87c.

i hope makes sense. i don't know if that is true. It's just something i was told

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i heard they basically just swap the charges. The postage should be 87c and the player €16 but at current price they'd have to pay less taxes for the 87c.
    I have seen this trick done on ebay a lot, not elsewhere though. The player was worth about €150-200 so it was definitely a misprice and €16 was a genuine courier cost.

It is usually ebay fees they try and avoid. If I have a plasma TV and sell it on ebay for €1000 and shipping of €100 then (as well as other fees) I have to pay ebay about 4% on the selling price, but ebay take no cut of the postage.

So ebay get €40 because of how I listed it. While if I listed the TV was €100 and the postage was €1000 they only would have got €4 in commission.

It also means the products appear top of the list if people "sort by lowest price first".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

rubadub wrote: »
    I have seen this trick done on ebay a lot, not elsewhere though. The player was worth about €150-200 so it was definitely a misprice and €16 was a genuine courier cost.

It is usually ebay fees they try and avoid. If I have a plasma TV and sell it on ebay for €1000 and shipping of €100 then (as well as other fees) I have to pay ebay about 4% on the selling price, but ebay take no cut of the postage.

So ebay get €40 because of how I listed it. While if I listed the TV was €100 and the postage was €1000 they only would have got €4 in commission.

It also means the products appear top of the list if people "sort by lowest price first".

Same as that, I've only heard of this practice on ebay. They now charge the final value fee on postage too, although I still items listed in this way the odd time.

Advertisement