Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning required for 2nd part of extension??

Options
  • 27-02-2015 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I hope I am posting to the right forum, new to boards and just finding my way around.

We are currently looking to build an extension to our semi D and are submitting our loan application at the moment. The complication is that we were originally planning to add a 21ft x 17ft extension to the side of the house and we received planning for this last year, but we are now hoping to add a further extension to the rear of the house of 12ft x 19ft. The problem is we have received conflicting advice from different sources as to whether we need planning for this second phase of the extension.

One engineer and an architect say we need planning, where as another engineer and someone from the local planning department say we do not need planning on the basis that there is an exemption of 40sq mts for single storey extensions to the rear and that the side extension does not 'eat into' this figure. Can anyone clarify who is right?

There is a big difference in costs as the architect is looking for an additional €7,000 in fees for the additional extension re submitting planning drawings and acting as assigned certifier etc. The builder has also come back to say 'that'll be another €1,000 then' for him to sign off on the extra extension (having serious doubts about using him because of this) - suddenly we won't have cash to finish off the inside!

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If you do plan to build the extension to the side and also plan to build the extension to the rear, at the same time, you do need planning permission for the extension to the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Vimesy

Thank you for this.

I should have made clear that the second phase is not attached to the original planned extension to the side.

I think we might have to get planning under the following section of the sheet you linked to:

"It is important to note that where the house has been extended before, the floor area of the extension you are now proposing and the floor area of any previous extension, including those for which you got planning permission, cannot exceed 40 square metres;"

As the combined area of both proposed extensions is over 40 sq mts, I think we are outside the exemption limit, unless the 40sq mts only relates to extensions at the rear?

thanks again

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you will require planning for the new part.

lets just consider the 2 extensions as 1.... they total up at 585 sq ft (54.35 sq M)
    the maximum you are allowed to build, single storey is 430 sq ft (40 sq M)

so you either redesign the whole thing to get the new build below 40 sq M (which would also remove the requirement for assigned certifier and the builders certificate)... or you apply for planning for the new part.

also, i wouldnt be too questioning the extra money required of the builder... there would be extra insurance costs, extra office documentation bureaucracy and extra time on site himself.
    If in doubt get two more quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Vimesy

Thanks for answering, we are quickly coming to conclusion that planning is needed, makes me wonder why we were getting conflicting opinions in the first place?!

As for builder, yes, we had already decided this morning to put the whole thing back out to tender.

Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Once you go above 40 square meters floor size increase you need planning no matter how or where the extensions floor areas are located. You need planning for the side extension irrespective of floor area and you can go to a max of 40 square meters to the rear if you do not build to the side. I think but am not 100% sure you can build an upper floor of 16 square meters max without permission so long as the roof does not come higher than the original roof and its to the rear. Also no windows overlooking the property next door within certain distances of the boundary

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think but am not 100% sure you can build an upper floor of 16 square meters max without permission so long as the roof does not come higher than the original roof and its to the rear. Also no windows overlooking the property next door within certain distances of the boundary

16 m.sq. to a detached house...or...12 m.sq. to any other type of house and external walls must be min. 2.0m from any boundary...and any windows must be 11m from the boundary they face (to be exempt).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

DOCARCH wrote: »
    16 m.sq. to a detached house...or...12 m.sq. to any other type of house and external walls must be min. 2.0m from any boundary...and any windows must be 11m from the boundary they face (to be exempt).

you can go 20 up and 20 down on a detached house without permission ....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    you can go 20 up and 20 down on a detached house without permission ....

Sorry...yes...that's correct. My memory failed me on that one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭bemak

You can request what's called "a declaration" from the local planning authority for a small fee. Basically you prescribe what you're looking to do and they'll say whether it requires planning etc.

Extract from Planning and Development Act, 2000

5.—(1) If any question arises as to what, in any particular case, is or is not development or is or is not exempted development within the meaning of this Act, any person may, on payment of the prescribed fee, request in writing from the relevant planning authority a declaration on that question, and that person shall provide to the planning authority any information necessary to enable the authority to make its decision on the matter.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement