Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting or History?

Options
  • 26-02-2015 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

This is my first time posting so apologises if it's in the wrong place.
    I got back the results of my leaving cert subjects today and I picked
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Economics
    Geography
    Business
    Seems like someone out there has it in for me because I didn't get any of my last three. Bear in mind any other subject outside this is a massive shot in the leg - I selected these for a reason. I found them the only ones I could deal with.
    How unlucky am I?
    Well I was given the option of Technology, Music, History, Accounting or Biology.
    I'm not doing the three sciences and I didn't do Tech or Music for my JC.
    I've already selected History but I'm lamenting my choice after reading that it's the type of subject you have to be passionate about or else you'll end up loathing it.

First things first - no point in telling me to choose the one I enjoy or "hate less". They're both on the same level to me, I don't look forward to doing either. However, that doesn't stop me from picking the one that isn't a pain in the ass if I hate it.
    Second - I got good grades in both of them, (A & B) so there's no point telling me to do the one I'm the "best" in, either.
    Third - The thing with History is that and along with Art, was a subject I was definitely sure I would never keep on. Even if it was the last option - there was no way in hell.
    Now thinking about it, 3rd year History was alright - I didn't exactly hate it as much as first and second.. plus the teacher is the best in our school. It's a more "learn off and write" kind of subject, and I find them kind of tedious.
    Now accounting.. the subject itself I have no "big" problems with. It was my least favorite out of all of the businesses, but I still found it somewhat doable. Here's the thing - the teacher. And I know, you're not supposed to base it on whoever is teaching it but (and I'm not exaggerating) the teacher would actually make me want to kill myself. They aren't bad at teaching, but they have a terrible attitude and I don't see eye to eye with them. When I was doing accounting with them, they turned me off completely and I found it really hard to motivate myself to pay attention or make an effort. Our personalities clash a lot and I just don't see me even going to school if I have to go through a double period with them.
    Accounting is also a learn off and write subject, so no differences there.

Also, the ideal subject choice for me was two sciences and one business. This way I'm still learning about what I would like to do in college but still have my options open if I change my mind. I was really sure I'd stick with this layout, but now I'm not so sure.

I feel like I could lighten my mood on History if I gave it a chance but I also feel like it's completely irrelevant to my future. However, I don't think the atmosphere or mood I'd get in Accounting is worth it.. maybe I could ignore her and go about my own business, but a part of me feels like it's not really possible..

I know you guys can't tell me what to do but I'd really like to see things from a third person's POV or what you'd do if you were me. Any extra background info on the subjects would also be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

In terms of college and future employment, your total points will matter more than what subjects you studied. So perhaps you should choose the subject that you think you'll perform best in. If you're not happy with the set-up in Accounting, then it might effect your overall performance. So that's something to think about. On the other hand, a good grade in Accounting will always look good on your CV, particularly when you're applying for your first job after college. Have you any idea what you want to do in college, or further down the line? If it's anything got to do with law, tax, business, or indeed any other professional service, then Accounting would be the better option. I'm a law graduate, and I'd love to have something related to Accounting on my CV, be it a Leaving Cert subject or even just a college module.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Geography and Business are the second and third most popular choice subjects nationally. I would insist on being allowed to do at least one. Assuming it is just the case that all classes in the subject-grouping are "full", I'm sure they'll be able to squeeze you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 00cm

Geography and Business are the second and third most popular choice subjects nationally. I would insist on being allowed to do at least one. Assuming it is just the case that all classes in the subject-grouping are "full", I'm sure they'll be able to squeeze you in.

Our school doesn't work that way, they group subjects together in a list and we pick one from each. To do either of those I would have to give up Physics and Chemistry which are one of my favorite subjects :/ It's really bad form most of my choices were in one list but there's nothing I can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

I imagine my school's the same. I was assuming, when you said you didn't "get them", that Geog and Bus didn't merely clash with Phys and Chem. LC History is a good deal different from JC History, and requires the ability to write three four/five page essays from a one-sentence question. Did you do JC Business? The accounting element of that is a very close indication of what it's like at LC. Either way, I would recommend Accounting ahead of History (assuming you don't have a particularly strong aptitude for essay subjects and that you're not particularly weak with numbers).

PS If it's any consolation, Business and Geography are boring!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

00cm wrote: »
    Accounting is also a learn off and write subject,

Not really, you have to understand LC accounting and why numbers go where they go, along with learning off layouts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's really bad form most of my choices ...
    It's really bad luck, rather, no-one was out to get you! :)

For some, the subject groups will suit perfectly; for some, like you, they will be very restrictive; for most, they will be ok.

No set of subject groupings will suit everyone; you just got a bit unlucky on this particular draw. (Do bear in mind that you got your first two choices; it's really only one choice which is causing you angst.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Don't do History for Leaving Cert. If you're neutral towards both, go for Accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Troxck wrote: »
    Don't do History for Leaving Cert. If you're neutral towards both, go for Accounting.

I wouldn't be so harsh on history without giving reason. History is all about learning facts and manipulating them to essays. A large chunk of the history course is genuinely interesting in my opinion. However, the subject is very much about exam technique, you could know all the info in the world but if you can't get the essay on the page in 40 minutes it doesn't matter.

Accounting requires a lot of practice but it's logical which could appeal to you since you enjoy science subjects.

Another thing to keep in mind is that 20% of the history exam is completed through a project. I do both subjects so if you've any more specific questions feel free to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Anyone that I know of who do history love the subject but hate the exam. It's generally quite interesting but it involves a load of essays.

Accounting is all about practise. You just have to keep doing questions to refresh things in your mind. The exam is okay and quite repetitive. It's not my favourite subject but I normally find it to be one of my best.

Have you any idea what you want to do in college, or further down the line?
    I'm planning to do something along the lines of engineering, medicine or computer science. But I do want a business subject to open my options a bit - I don't want to be completely loss in the case I change my mind. I think I'm kind of equal on both subjects in terms of ability. But the thing you said about points is true - I'm trying to get the max. I can, perhaps essays might just be the way to go.
    user53 wrote: »
    Not really, you have to understand LC accounting and why numbers go where they go, along with learning off layouts.
    Yeah I know, but in regards with the layouts - there's no roundabout way to go about it except to learn it. In comparison to most subjects, a big deal of it is also learning off.
    I wouldn't be so harsh on history without giving reason. History is all about learning facts and manipulating them to essays. A large chunk of the history course is genuinely interesting in my opinion. However, the subject is very much about exam technique, you could know all the info in the world but if you can't get the essay on the page in 40 minutes it doesn't matter.

Accounting requires a lot of practice but it's logical which could appeal to you since you enjoy science subjects.

Another thing to keep in mind is that 20% of the history exam is completed through a project. I do both subjects so if you've any more specific questions feel free to ask!
    I was talked through the History paper, it seemed okay in theory but I'm kind of scared how it will play out irl.
    Since I can't stand the teacher in accounting, if it came to it - do you think it's the subject I could go away and try to interpret myself? I'm obviously not going to purposely doss it or anything, just need to know the extremes.
    Any reasons why you say that?

• Advertisement

Have you any idea what you want to do in college, or further down the line?
    I'm planning to do something along the lines of engineering, medicine or computer science. But I do want a business subject to open my options a bit - I don't want to be completely loss in the case I change my mind. I think I'm kind of equal on both subjects in terms of ability. But the thing you said about points is true - I'm trying to get the max. I can, perhaps essays might just be the way to go.
    user53 wrote: »
    Yeah I know, but in regards with the layouts - there's no roundabout way to go about it except to learn it. In comparison to most subjects, a big deal of it is also learning off.

I was talked through the History paper, it seemed okay in theory but I'm kind of scared how it will play out irl.
    Since I can't stand the teacher in accounting, if it came to it - do you think it's the subject I could go away and try to interpret myself? I'm obviously not going to purposely doss it or anything, just need to know the extremes.
    Did you do JC Business? The accounting element of that is a very close indication of what it's like at LC. Either way, I would recommend Accounting ahead of History (assuming you don't have a particularly strong aptitude for essay subjects and that you're not particularly weak with numbers).
    Yeah, I found it alright - not particularly bad at it but I just didn't find it that interesting. I mean if I had any other teacher I think I would've picked accounting, it's just that a great deal of mental power is wasted trying to endure it.
    Essay subjects.. I'm not sure, haven't been able to put it to test. I flew by History in JC by learning off stuff I didn't even understand and spewing it all on the paper, how different is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

The exam is awful, if you're looking to maximise points stay well clear of this subject. You could get an A1 by learning 4 essays and you could end up with a N/G if the essays you have learnt did not come up.

I'm incredibly bias, I despise the subject. I got an A at JC and I will be lucky to get a C at LC, even with jutting more work in. I also have an awful teacher so that skews my view of it.

If you plan on doing Engineering etc. you have a logically minded way of thinking, Accounting will suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Being honest, without a good teacher I imagine accounting would be very difficult. It really involves a lot of concepts which you will need explained and done out for you.

I went through quite a rough patch with my own accounting teacher last year. At the time I had a very bad attitude about accounting as a result and would go to class in bad form and obviously then started to resent the subject. At the beginning of this year I decided that quarrels with teachers aren't worth it so I go to class now, put my head down and just listen, hand up the work and get on with it.

A teacher is important in accounting but it's up to you to really decide if you're willing to let the subject go because of this teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I had a choice between History, Geography or Chemistry and chose History.

Wanted to do Accounting too but a few people were interested so no class was offered. Three of us ending up doing it as an extra subject with one of the teachers giving us occasional after-school coaching. All three of us got Cs in the honours paper so you could go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

I do accounting and I actually really like it!

I can completely understand because I didn't get my subjects last year and had to end up doing a subject I hate!

Accounting is very predictable and its not that difficult but it requires so much practice!!

In saying that my teacher is excellent and is so nice to our class which is a big help!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

If I were you I would take accounting. History is very interesting however the essays are excruciating and the subject itself is very time consuming regarding what to learn. I don't do accounting but I imagine it would be more problem solving and a lot easier to do than the history exam which is basically 4 essays and document questions in 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ko3p

History is a great subject and can be very interesting but the exam is horrible.
    You only have 2 hours and 50 minutes to write three essays and answer the document question, which is daft considering you get three hours for Biology and Chemistry.

Advertisement