Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice on receivership

Options
  • 26-02-2015 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have just received a letter from the banks saying that my Apartment has just gone into receivership. This letter is asking for all sorts of details such as Lease length and rent paid monthly etc. I rang my landlord and he said he was talking to his solicitor about this and not to worry. The problem is we have no lease and I am worried we could be turfed out at any moment, we paid no deposit either. Do I have a leg to stand on or do I start looking for a new place immediately?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mod Note

OP can you please be mindful of your typing, I've just replaced every < in your text with the correct letter v.
    If posters can't read your posts, they will be unable to help you.

thanks

Morri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Start looking for a place now.

If there is no deposit in issue you're better off than most. You're now in a situation where the Land Lord is responsible for the upkeep but the rent will most likely go to the receiver. You can guess how well that works in most cases.

Speak to FLAC/Threshold for advice, don't be too worried you'll not be out on the street tomorrow just be careful what info you give the receiver without first getting proper advice. Rent should be paid as directed by the receiver but again get proper advice on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MoistNSquishy

Thanks for advice and appologies I have no v key this is a copy a pasted v.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Thanks for advice and appologies I have no v key this is a copy a pasted v.

How very strange...

Quick solution for you until you get a new keyboard would be to download a key remapper. I've used sharp keys or auto hot key personally so i can recommend. Should be pretty quick for you to google and download.

Fairly simply to use and you could just remap some unused key on your keyboard such as §, ±, ~, ` to return the letter v for you instead.

For your receivership issue. You should almost assume you could lose your deposit. I'd insist on written clarification that the receiver is assuming liability for it. Not something I'd recommended or advocate in the slightest but I've heard anecdotes of people in similar situations sending the rent to a sectioned off separate account until full agreement of terms has been met with the receiver.

If the receiver plays the card that they are not legally bound by their lease and do not have to uphold obligations then you are not legally bound to deal with them either. It's a really messy one, it's unfortunate this is happening to you op.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Eldarion wrote: »
    How very strange...

Quick solution for you until you get a new keyboard would be to download a key remapper. I've used sharp keys or auto hot key personally so i can recommend. Should be pretty quick for you to google and download.

Fairly simply to use and you could just remap some unused key on your keyboard such as §, ±, ~, ` to return the letter v for you instead.

For your receivership issue. You should almost assume you could lose your deposit. I'd insist on written clarification that the receiver is assuming liability for it. Not something I'd recommended or advocate in the slightest but I've heard anecdotes of people in similar situations sending the rent to a sectioned off separate account until full agreement of terms has been met with the receiver.

If the receiver plays the card that they are not legally bound by their lease and do not have to uphold obligations then you are not legally bound to deal with them either. It's a really messy one, it's unfortunate this is happening to you op.

There is no deposit in this instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 MoistNSquishy

or lease... if i can find a new place soon, i think i will just walk away from this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

or lease... if i can find a new place soon, i think i will just walk away from this one.

Apologies should have read the OP better!

Makes sense, if only just for your peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

Op ask to see the deed of appontment of the receiver before handing out money to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If it was me I might be inclined to Lower the rent... Worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd ask for the receiver to collect the rent in person,
    to bring two forms of id(passport,driving license, garda age card) and a recent utility bill.

The usual crap the banks make you jump through.

The bank will obviously object, so you a) negotiate a rent reduction for the extra costs of having to lodge to the account of their chosing
    b) brazen it out with the refusing legal tender cancels the debt argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

The receiver is not a bank. The receiver is usually accountant who is appointed to be the agent of the borrower (landlord).

Look for proof of appointment of the receiver, when you get it you have to pay your rent to them. You will have to move eventually, if something good comes up go to it.

Advertisement