Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think there is room in the current market for a student-based magazine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trepper123

Our target market would be third level students. We are wondering what your thoughts and opinions are. All help welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Not a printed one really. Students use iphones etc too much, they don't use papers or mags so much I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

It would have to be some form of website/blog. Print journalism/media is declining in use by students I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

There is always room if you do it better than your competition. Would you plan on making it very clearly studenty with stuff about college life or just immature stuff that students find entertaining as I think on the latter then joe.ie pretty much has that sort of thing sewn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

No. Most college give free papers to the students and I imagine about half cant even name what their college newspaper is. Print media is dying and even online news media is mainly video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

hfallada wrote: »
    No. Most college give free papers to the students and I imagine about half cant even name what their college newspaper is. Print media is dying and even online news media is mainly video.

Correct. The other half has no idea of research, cannot spell and has no idea of the rules of grammar, punctuation and sentence construction. Comics, that’s what they need, with big letters..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Like your other thread you have an idea and not much more. 3rd level students is a very broad market ranging from school leavers to mature students with a family with every possible hobby and interest.
    What would the content of the magazine be?
    who would read it?
    Does some other publication offer the same thing?
    What would make somebody buy your publication over the competition?

You need to nail down what your actual idea is and then do some market research to find out if the market is there to support it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

And the winner for sweeping statement of the year goes to.................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

gsi300024v wrote: »
    And the winner for sweeping statement of the year goes to.................................

Perhaps it would have been more appropriate to split the remainder into two quarters, and allocate one of them to those who love to use the word ‘ironic’ but would not recognize irony were it to be shoved in their faces.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Wrong slot, ask de bleedin' studnets!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭protelos

So true always room for new and improved material. Ah students do hang around a lot and the free paper is always flicked through. I think a glossy mag with good content would be a super winner.

Printing ain't cheap plus it must be free. Full of ads would be a load of rubbish.

In terms of content college is a mine field, look at the amount of clus there are! It is highly unlikely you can get a mag that will get the gaa heads and the gamers for instance.

If you did fashion, business (interviews with successful alums etc), budget holiday destination and the like, it would be sweet as!!

Fair play for you for coming up with a good idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

College times is the only dedicated college magazine type site I would have looked at regularly, even though I haven't looked at it in over 8 months!
    If there was any chance of me reading a printed magazine, which would be unlikely, it would have to be free and have been shoved through my letterbox so that if i was bored and happened to spot it I may give it a read. if the content didnt suit what I like then i would never read it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

You have the Journal.ie already. Is that not student enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Trepper123 wrote: »
    Your thoughts and opinions please.
    Doing your market research where you're more likely going to find a concentration of students, such as the college forums, rather than here where many of us have faint memories of university, will probably serve you better is one thought that comes to mind.

Advertisement