Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to rent in a quiet, safe area of Dublin, on a bus route to Ongar

Options
  • 26-02-2015 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are separating, and I'll be moving out of our house in Ongar (where she will live with our son) soon. I'm looking to rent an apartment in a nice, quiet, safe area of Dublin as my son will be spending weekends with me. I will however want to visit him after work on weekdays (and I don't drive), so I would need to be within walking distance to the 39/39a bus route. Ideally there would be a supermarket nearby and maybe a park or something. My budget is around 1300/1400 per month. Would Donnybrook be a good option for me? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

rootScope wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My wife and I are separating, and I'll be moving out of our house in Ongar (where she will live with our son) soon. I'm looking to rent an apartment in a nice, quiet, safe area of Dublin as my son will be spending weekends with me. I will however want to visit him after work on weekdays (and I don't drive), so I would need to be within walking distance to the 39/39a bus route. Ideally there would be a supermarket nearby and maybe a park or something. My budget is around 1300/1400 per month. Would Donnybrook be a good option for me? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Apartments sometimes come up in Hampton square on the Navan road which would fit your criteria. Its quiet, gated, on the 37/38/39 bus routes, there is a Tesco nearby, the phoenix park is less than 10 mins walk and it should be within budget. 2 beds there are about 1200, but this may have gone up with the current craziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭xper

Donnybrook would meet your needs very well though it's a pricey area so you'll probably be spending your full monthly budget for a small apartment.

You might consider Stoneybatter too. I don't know that area particularly well but the area of small artisan houses around Oxmanton Rd is developing a reputation as an up and coming enclave with lots of these small houses being done up in recent years. Within walking distance of the 39A on Manor St and Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rootScope

Thanks very much to the above commenters, will check out those areas. Any more suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Why don't you just stay in Ongar? Just a different part to your ex..

January wrote: »
    Why don't you just stay in Ongar? Just a different part to your ex..

I'm starting a new job in the city centre and would like to be a bit closer to town. If I can't find anywhere suitable then that's probably what I'll do alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Definitely would recommend Stoneybatter/Smithfield

Definitely would recommend Stoneybatter/Smithfield

I have to say though, I spent a bit of time in this area about 2 years ago (a family member lived there) and there seemed to be quite a few junkies/scumbags around, particularly around the square and Manor street. Has it changed since then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What about any where in the city centre? You're on the bus route straight away.

While the bus does go all the way from donnybrook to ongar, it's quite a trek...

Otherwise what about those aptmt beside clonsilla hospital? And get train to work.

I'm sorry to hear of your circumstance btw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ok scratch my city centre suggestion. What about apartments in the Phoenix Park or by ashtown station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I have to say though, I spent a bit of time in this area about 2 years ago (a family member lived there) and there seemed to be quite a few junkies/scumbags around, particularly around the square and Manor street. Has it changed since then?

There's a few junkies, but I've been living right in between Manor St and Smithfield Square since 2011 and neither me, my partner, or anyone who ever visits us has had a single bit of hassle, make of that what you will. It's only more gentrified it's getting, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm starting a new job in the city centre and would like to be a bit closer to town. If I can't find anywhere suitable then that's probably what I'll do alright.

If you think about it thought it doesn't really make sense if you want to continue seeing your son regularly...

You'd have to go to work (possibly getting a bus to work if you move to somewhere like Donnybrook etc), then get a bus out to see your son in the evening and then a bus back home that night...

If you lived in Ongar you could get the bus home, see your son and possibly have him stay over with you mid week also because you'd be close to his school/mother/child minder.

January wrote: »
    If you think about it thought it doesn't really make sense if you want to continue seeing your son regularly...

You'd have to go to work (possibly getting a bus to work if you move to somewhere like Donnybrook etc), then get a bus out to see your son in the evening and then a bus back home that night...

If you lived in Ongar you could get the bus home, see your son and possibly have him stay over with you mid week also because you'd be close to his school/mother/child minder.

Good point. I guess I was hoping for a bit of a nicer area for when he is staying with me (also wanting to get out of the area myself). But it seems the journey might be a bit much. Thanks for your input.

Advertisement