Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner of website died

Options
  • 26-02-2015 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been asked by someone to look into taking over the running of a small sports club's website after the previous guy passed away.

A search on whoishostingthis.com has shown that the site is hosted by irishdomains.com.

Just wondering has anyone any previous experience with a similar situation. What do I need to get access to the files? Is it a complicated procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

Synode wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been asked by someone to look into taking over the running of a small sports club's website after the previous guy passed away.

A search on whoishostingthis.com has shown that the site is hosted by irishdomains.com.

Just wondering has anyone any previous experience with a similar situation. What do I need to get access to the files? Is it a complicated procedure?

Thanks in advance.
    You would probably need documentary evidence that you've been appointed to take over the running of the website. After that it is a question of contacting the hoster (Irishdomains.com). They would need to talk to the management of the sports club but it shouldn't be any major issue. The only problem that may arise is in the e-mail contact for the domain name. If it is a .ie, it would be a lot easier (just faxing a letter confirming the change). If it is a .com, it might be slightly trickier depending on who is the authoritative contact for the domain name.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The process will vary by company

It'll also depend whose name the hosting / domain was in.

Best bet is to contact the hosting provider / registrar and see what they say

You might need to provide death certs etc., depending on how things were setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Thanks folks, I've sent a mail to irishdomains to see what I'll need. The domain is .com, the hosting was in the deceased's name and his email was @eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The website was registered in the name of the deceased unfortunately. Irish Domains saying they need a copy of the death certificate and a letter from the executor of the estate stating that ownership should be transferred to the organisation.

Bit of a nightmare, as the Executor situation is messy. The organisation should have insisted the ownership be in their own name. However, as with most technical things, it's unlikely they had any idea of the possible situation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

The website was registered in the name of the deceased unfortunately. Irish Domains saying they need a copy of the death certificate and a letter from the executor of the estate stating that ownership should be transferred to the organisation.

Bit of a nightmare, as the Executor situation is messy. The organisation should have insisted the ownership be in their own name. However, as with most technical things, it's unlikely they had any idea of the possible situation
    Looks like it will be necessary to provide that data. The alternative, if there is no major e-mail or web traffic on the old domain, is to set up a new domain and website (scrape/copy the existing site if it is just a simple one) while waiting for matters to proceed. Once the transfer is complete, point the old site/domain to the new one.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

We've had to deal with this in the past. It's not pleasant, but unfortunately it's unavoidable in some cases.

Hopefully it'll work out for you.

Advertisement