Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tethering v Mobile Broadband

Options
  • 26-02-2015 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me the difference between tethering using my phones portable hotspot and a mobile broadband dongle.

Im in the process of buying a house that has been delayed by a few weeks. In the meantime I need something for light/medium internet use (no movies/netflixs etc)

Would I get away with using the phones data conneciton, or would I be better off getting a dongle. Im leaning more towards the phones connection as I do now know what coverage is at the new house. Its in the country so may not have coverage for some networks. Ill need internet access there too until the proper connection is set up

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

I'd stick with tethering until you move, then assess whats available at the new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Which network are you with for phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Im on the meteor network at the moment. I dont remember having any issues with coverage when viewing the house, and the 4g map for them says it should have excellent coverage. Of course my phone is not 4g but the new dongles would be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

wobbles wrote: »
    Im on the meteor network at the moment. I dont remember having any issues with coverage when viewing the house, and the 4g map for them says it should have excellent coverage. Of course my phone is not 4g but the new dongles would be

That's good coverage should have no issues with coverage there :) i'm not too sure about the 4G in areas with Meteor when i was with them the map showed the area should have excellent 4G but didnt have any at all just a thing to be cautious with, same for Vodafone their map shows 4G is areas i didn't get 4G in :o

Advertisement