Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HostingPower.ie - legit?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I've been looking for a place to rent short term in Dublin (start work this week in Damastown Industrial Estate but friends I'm crashing with live in Rathmines) and I came across an agency called Hosting Power.

They've told me they have a property in Edgewood Lawns available to move into on Wednesday. It involves a weekly payment and a fee to the agency to secure the booking. They've told me they don't do viewings because the agency arranges everything for short term lettings of like a hotel. There are loads of their ads up on daft and I couldn't find anything negative written about them online.

Has anyone dealt with this crowd before? Should I be wary or does it look legit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Bahfiddle wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been looking for a place to rent short term in Dublin (start work this week in Damastown Industrial Estate but friends I'm crashing with live in Rathmines) and I came across an agency called Hosting Power.

They've told me they have a property in Edgewood Lawns available to move into on Wednesday. It involves a weekly payment and a fee to the agency to secure the booking. They've told me they don't do viewings because the agency arranges everything for short term lettings of like a hotel. There are loads of their ads up on daft and I couldn't find anything negative written about them online.

Has anyone dealt with this crowd before? Should I be wary or does it look legit?

never heard of them. Word of advice if it sounds strange it probably is. Just go direct to people looking to rent out a room.

https://search.cro.ie/company/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=545052&type=C

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So a few quick checks show that they're new, company was only registered in June.

The plusses are that the website seems legit - often these dodgy operators have poorly laid out and badly translated sites - and the director of the company has his profile public on LinkedIn. He is based in Ireland and has worked for respectable Irish companies before.

They seem to have a primary focus on tourism; kind of like airbnb but taking the potentially dodgy aspect out of it. Though if they're new, I guess they're trying to build up their portfolio by finding accommodation for locals too.

You should definitely be wary, but no harm to ring them up (or even call into the address on their website) and have a chat about their model. If they're genuine they'll be able to explain it simply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I'm currently looking for a short term apartment/house share in Dublin.
    I found a suitable ad on Daft (sharing with the houseowner) and answered it. Turns out it's going through an agency called HostingPower.ie

I got an email from the agency detailing the payments (about 14% fee up front directly to them for the entire period, and then pay the landlord direct each week). They asked for a reply accepting the conditions, and a scan of my passport, after which they would send me a secure link for payment. After paying, they would then send me details of the property.

When I asked about viewing the accommodation, I was referred back to their previous email. I pointed out I was hardly going to pay a booking fee until I'd seen the property, and was told that's their job as an agency.

It sounds vey fishy to me. I'm answering an ad on the internet, and they're looking for payment up front before giving me details of a property that for all I know doesn't even exist?

I can understand the owner might not want to deal with lots of viewings, and only want serious interest. Or that the agency might not want to risk losing their commission. But the T+Cs I was expected to agree to were extremely
    sparse. There's nothing about what happens if the accommodation is unsuitable, if I leave early, basic stuff. I don't see what the owner gets out of it since they've done nothing to vet me beyond asking for my passport scan and my money. Not even a work reference. And for good measure I can no longer find the ad on Daft, they're usually taken down once the proprety is gone.

Has anyone actually used this agency, and are they legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

smells like a SCAM

who pays any money for a property before seeing it...
    only an insane person.. thats who

if you havent seen a property with your own eyes its best to assume it doesnt exist... :P

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Although their practice is a bit weird, they are a legitimate company who are registered with the CRO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Although their practice is a bit weird, they are a legitimate company who are registered with the CRO.

They wouldn't get a cent off me regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Avoid like the plague

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

They wouldn't get a cent off me regardless.

Maybe so....but the question was. Are they legit?...and they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's come up here before and I had a look into it. Although it sounds a bit odd, from what I can tell they're simply trying to develop a new model in the market. They otherwise seem 100% legit and the nature of what they do seems pretty clear on their website.

The guys who run it have their names out there in public and they have a registered address - 32 New Bride Street - that doesn't seem to be a solicitor's office or some other shell company setup.

People who run scams typically obfuscate the names of the directors, avoid making an address available anywhere in public, and use UK numbers or freephone numbers for taking calls so that they're untraceable.

This company have done none of this, which suggests to me that they're perfectly legit and likely to be honest in what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Seems legit to me, if you bother looking at their site you'll see that it's target market is for students looking for short term accomodation looking for meals etc to be provided.
    The places that you will be staying are with just families I can understand them
    not doing viewings. As their short term and in most cases the customers won't be in the country till the day they turn up at the host family

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Seems legit to me, if you bother looking at their site you'll see that it's target market is for students looking for short term accomodation looking for meals etc to be provided.
    The places that you will be staying are with just families I can understand them
    not doing viewings. As their short term and in most cases the customers won't be in the country till the day they turn up at the host family

I did bother looking at their website and found very little to reassure me in the way of properly thought out terms and conditions, etc, hence my question. Also, their target market clearly isn't just students.

Plus I never contacted them via their website, I answered a perfectly normal looking house share ad on Daft, which made no mention of being expected to pay a deposit before even viewing the property. Which Daft's own safety guide advises in all caps never to do.

It may not be a scam, but the whole setup seems a bit disorganised, and I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable dealing with them.

[edit]
    To be fair, I did actually find some better T+Cs when I looked at their main site, they're not visible on the mobile site. But tbh, they weren't referred to in the terms I was asked to agree to before payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

It seems a very strange business model that they're trying to adopt. Asking people to hand over money without viewing the place definitely has the feel of a scam. Even if it isn't, who's going to pay money before you've even had a chance to view. Unless they have a corner on this section of the market, I can't see them succeeding unless they change their business practises.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Registered address appears to be a private house: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.337158,-6.269079,3a,30y,34.82h,86.09t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s41WdyzDO_zg_eXXDSYov-A!2e0!6m1!1e1

https://search.cro.ie/company/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=545052&type=C (link might not be usable, but use www.cro.ie/search and input the details)
    Details
    Type
    Number 545052
    Name HOSTING POWER LIMITED
    Address 32 NEW BRIDE STREET
    DUBLIN 8

Registered 06/06/2014
    Status Normal

Effective Date 06/06/2014
    Last AR Date Not Available
    Next AR Date 06/12/2014
    Last Accounts to Date Not Available

https://www.iedr.ie/whois-result/?whois=hostingpower
    You can see your whois result below:

% Rights restricted by copyright; http://iedr.ie/index.php/mnudomregs/mnudnssearch/96
    % Do not remove this notice

domain: hostingpower.ie
    descr: HOSTING POWER LIMITED
    descr: Body Corporate (Ltd,PLC,Company)
    descr: Corporate Name
    admin-c: ATG985-IEDR
    tech-c: WWA1-IEDR
    renewal: 22-July-2015
    holder-type: Billable
    wipo-status: N
    ren-status: Active
    in-zone: 1
    nserver: ns1.webworld.org
    nserver: ns2.webworld.org
    nserver: ns3.webworld.org
    source: IEDR

person: Sebastien Berlier
    nic-hdl: ATG985-IEDR

person: Webworld.ie Hostmaster
    nic-hdl: WWA1-IEDR

I'm not finding them on the Property Services Regulatory Authority register, but I'm not sure if they are obliged to register.

32 New Bride Street would appear to be a rented property, according to the PRTB register.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gucci11

Just wondering now that some time has passed since these posts.....anyone know anymore about this company? Thinking of going with them but concerned about the fact I cannot locate anyone who has used them to recommend them. They are listed on DCU and Royal College of Surgeons website as possible accommodation website... Is this enough for me to go on??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If colleges are 'recommending' them- how about talking to their accommodation officer(s) to see if they have any feedback from other students about them. If there was any evidence of issues with them- surely they'd have pulled them as suggestions from their websites and accommodation offices.....?

Thank you The_Conductor... good idea. Guess I was just wondering if original poster here went ahead with HostingPower or not

No, I found it too suspicious. No other agency or private landlord I dealt with ever asked for money before even viewing a place. Decided it wasn't worth the risk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

MOH wrote: »
    No, I found it too suspicious. No other agency or private landlord I dealt with ever asked for money before even viewing a place. Decided it wasn't worth the risk

Its just a different business model.
    They want to act as a gatekeeper between you and the 'landlord' to ensure they get their cut of the transaction.
    Its the same way ebay won't give you a sellers (or a buyers) information until after you've paid for a product- to ensure you don't bypass them.
    Its just a classical method of gatekeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 einsatu

Hi, I was also thinking about renting with them. They sent me the usual agree to terms & conditions, copy of passport etc. But I then had a specific question regarding the room and they only answered with thank you for your update, agree to terms & conditions, sent copy of passport, then pay etc. Nothing about answering the question at all. I dropped it then since I was not sure if they really would have that room then. Maybe their terms & conditions say something about only make a contact to a potential landlord for the fee and that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bahfiddle

einsatu wrote: »
    Hi, I was also thinking about renting with them. They sent me the usual agree to terms & conditions, copy of passport etc. But I then had a specific question regarding the room and they only answered with thank you for your update, agree to terms & conditions, sent copy of passport, then pay etc. I dropped it then since I was not sure if they really would have that room then.

I ended up going with them after calling the contact and discussing in person. They sent on some reviews of the property and talked through location, then when I was comfortable I paid the deposit (10% of overall rent).

It really got me out of a tight spot when I moved up and I had no problems with them. Definitely worth a look if you're stuck.

• Advertisement

Yes Einsatu... I was just the same as you. And still have never found anyone who has successfully used them. I got as far as passport sending and agreeing to terms and conditions and my subsequent reply indicated that the property in which I had expressed interest was no longer available. Suggestions of other properties were made, described as similar, but because I know Dublin I was glad to be able to realise that while price and property were similar, the location certainly wasn't! I politely declined the offer but what has often concerned me since that time is the fact they have the scanned passport !!! What do they do with such information???.....I expect under data protection legislation they are no longer allowed to hold it, but how do I know???!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gucci11 wrote: »
    I expect under data protection legislation they are no longer allowed to hold it, but how do I know???!!
    As they're a business, I suspect you could ask what information that they have on you? Not sure if a FOI request would be what you need or not, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Einsatu please do not post duplicate posts on multiple threads. Thanks

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cat126

Hi all. Just wondering if anybody has any more feedback on this company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

You know hacking a companies email address is getting more common....

It might be a legitimate company but you are being scammed by someone else, even if you get an email from the company email, you can't trust it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement