Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going from B1 to A1 in English

Options
  • 26-02-2015 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

A teacher recently marked a mock paper 1 that I have done. I obtained a B1. How might I improve this? The teacher's main recommendation was that I improve my handwriting, but is there any other way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    A teacher recently marked a mock paper 1 that I have done. I obtained a B1. How might I improve this? The teacher's main recommendation was that I improve my handwriting, but is there any other way?

Ask your teacher for more constructive feedback, identifying other areas for improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ko3p

Your handwriting has no affect on your grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

The teacher told me that in theory it doesn't. In reality, it will. He deducted 5% from everything because of it :( He didn't mention how to any marks beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

expiiplus1 wrote: »
    The teacher told me that in theory it doesn't. In reality, it will. He deducted 5% from everything because of it :( He didn't mention how to any marks beyond that.

In english you're marked for PCLM, Purpose, Clarity, Language and mechanics.
    Mechanics is basically grammar. You could write the entire thing without spelling a single word right and the only thing they can deduct marks from is your mechanics. If your teacher can only say your handwriting is dropping you to a B grade and everything else is fine, he's a pretty useless teacher.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ko3p wrote: »
    Your handwriting has no affect on your grade.
    There are no marks for handwriting, you're right, and if someone's handwriting is just messy but perfectly legible then pfft, not an issue.

Where it can become an issue is if it's illegible or bordering on it (and remember that just because you can read your own writing, or your teacher has become so familiar with it that they can make a good guess at it doesn't mean a stranger will be able to read it).

There are no marks for handwriting, true; but if they can't read what you've written they can't give you marks for it either! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

No matter how specific the marking scheme sounds I think English will always be somewhat of a subjective exam to correct.

Just imagine you've had a long day of correcting and a paper arrives where you've to squint and decipher the handwriting - it just doesn't leave a good impression and makes things harder for the corrector, so they might subconsciously have low expectations or whatever.

Number one rule of the LC - never make things harder for the corrector :D

Advertisement