Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing 9 subjects for LC?

Options
  • 25-02-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Now I'd like to point out not all would be higher level.
    I'm looking for high points and I'm currently doing 8 subjects (ones OL maths) and I'm counting my top 6, 1 of which will be French or Irish and consistently while totting up possible LC outcomes and from class tests etc Irish and French have been letting me down (never been my best but capable of HL)

I'm thinking of picking up Home Ec as an extra subject and studying it in my own time (it clashes with another subject but my mothers a chef so that may help)
    I'd then drop Irish and French (or at least my weaker of the two) and hope then I can get consistent As and Bs rather then one straggler that pulls me down.

It's just a possibility at this stage so it may not go ahead ,I'm just looking for opinions.

The workload should be fine as I'm good at those types of subjects and although I've no study classes but I would still have time to put towards it.

So what do ye think?
    Give it a go or try or try to pull my Irish up on par with the rest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Seanf999 wrote: »
    Now I'd like to point out not all would be higher level.
    I'm looking for high points and I'm currently doing 8 subjects (ones OL maths) and I'm counting my top 6, 1 of which will be French or Irish and consistently while totting up possible LC outcomes and from class tests etc Irish and French have been letting me down (never been my best but capable of HL)

I'm thinking of picking up Home Ec as an extra subject and studying it in my own time (it clashes with another subject but my mothers a chef so that may help)
    I'd then drop Irish and French (or at least my weaker of the two) and hope then I can get consistent As and Bs rather then one straggler that pulls me down.

It's just a possibility at this stage so it may not go ahead ,I'm just looking for opinions.

The workload should be fine as I'm good at those types of subjects and although I've no study classes but I would still have time to put towards it.

So what do ye think?
    Give it a go or try or try to pull my Irish up on par with the rest?

Had a friend who did 9 subjects. Its doable...Pick your 9th as something that you think you'll like and try and speak to the teacher of it. They might be willing to help eg giving you the class tests and helping with questions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Don't underestimate how difficult Home Ec is.

It's not just cooking.
    There's a social aspect to it, a craft aspect to it and the biology in it is more advanced than the LC Bio course in places.

Theres also a practical element that would have to be signed off by a Home Ec teacher.

I did home Ec when I did my LC way back in 2001, I took it on with 10 weeks to go and got a C1, so 70 points, more than my A1 in OL maths gave me.

However, home Ec was two separate subjects at the time and I just had to do 1 terminal exam and no project/craftwork

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Seanf999 wrote: »
    I'd then drop Irish and French
    I assume you mean drop to OL, otherwise you're in trouble with any of the NUI colleges.

As a general rule I'd never recommend doing 9 subjects; in fact I'd recommend 7, assuming that there are no issues with the compulsory subjects.

Again, as a general rule, better to put more time into fewer subjects rather than spreading yourself too thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

I assume you mean drop to OL, otherwise you're in trouble with any of the NUI colleges.

As a general rule I'd never recommend doing 9 subjects; in fact I'd recommend 7, assuming that there are no issues with the compulsory subjects.

Again, as a general rule, better to put more time into fewer subjects rather than spreading yourself too thin.

I'm always doing that. Sorry I meant I'd drop down to lower level.

I agree it is better to put more time into fewer subjects then spread yourself too thin but I sadly don't feel capable of getting the points I'm looking for from the compulsory subjects (bar English)
    I have to understand something for it to lodge into my brain and when I do understand it it stays there but I cannot wrote learn off verbs or adjectives which is a major disadvantage in Irish and French hence why I'm not sure what to do.

Advertisement