Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on accommodation for five months in Dublin ASAP?

Options
  • 25-02-2015 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Fairly last minute, but got offered a paid internship in Dublin for five months, starting next week, and while I can stay with friends for the immediate short term, I'd be looking to sort myself out.

I would consider student accommodation but, as a 37, to 38 year old, it might be an odd scenario, and would only consider it if it were masters/PhD/mature students.

Any advice? The "job" will be in the city centre, south of the river.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ThatFatGal

There are lots of rooms to let on Daft.ie

You should have no problem finding a single or double room there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'll have a look, cheers.

Gah, so much choice!

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

seachto7 you may have problems with the length of time here, you may fare out better with an owner occupier who is more flexible with regards to a time period. Landlords tend to want a 12 month lease minimum. Another option, if you've commitments at home is to approach a B&B and see if they can do you a Mon-Fri deal.

yeah, just had a look on Daft, and not many seem to have short term leases available.

I would be coming down to Limerick on weekends to play gigs, as I need to supplement the internship.

So, it would be a Monday to Friday thing in reality.

I could approach a B&B I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

I don't know about Dublin but a friend of mine in a similar situation in London is using Airbnb for a 3 month stay might be worth looking into

• Advertisement

Ok, quick one, what's the average rent in Dublin per month? For a room. I can work back from there.

Edit: no joy on air b&b....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You will be looking about €500 a month for somewhere decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

seachto7 wrote: »
    Ok, quick one, what's the average rent in Dublin per month? For a room. I can work back from there.

Edit: no joy on air b&b....

What do you mean no joy on AirBnB? Theres loads of them in Dublin.

They all seem to be fairly expensive from what I can see.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

They all seem to be fairly expensive from what I can see.

Well of course they are! They are geared towards people staying very short term (overnight, weekends, a week).

You need to contact them and negotiate a rate for a more long term arrangement.
    This is not going to just land in your lap you have to get the finger out and try get yourself a deal.

• Advertisement

True , true. I'll have to put some time aside, a block of a few hours to get in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hi all,

Fairly last minute, but got offered a paid internship in Dublin for five months, starting next week, and while I can stay with friends for the immediate short term, I'd be looking to sort myself out.

I would consider student accommodation but, as a 37, to 38 year old, it might be an odd scenario, and would only consider it if it were masters/PhD/mature students.

Any advice? The "job" will be in the city centre, south of the river.

Where will the internship be located?

Molesworth street

Just had a look through again on Air B&b and a lot of them have blocks booked up so probably wouldn't suit what I'm looking for. I'll have another look on daft now.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ThatFatGal

Like another poster said, your best bet would be to go for a 6 month lease or an owner occupied property where you will be able to make a more flexible arrangement.

Budget would be around 500E if you're looking for something decent but if you wanted to save money, you could consider venturing out to areas like D11, D15, D24 etc.

I wouldn't mind being as close as is affordable, as I'll have to hightail it out of the city on Friday evenings sharpish, so will look at parking in the city on a Friday. (I suppose it wouldn't really matter now that I think of it!)

I did see an apartment for 700/month in D4, but might see if I can get something cheaper with parking.

500 would be manageable.

I must be doing something *rseways when it comes to filtering properties on daft, because I'm not having much joy, specifically filtering for "owner occupied"

Stoopid me. "sharing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

You could book a week somewhere on Homestay.com and see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

If you Are female I know someone looking to rent out a room Monday to Friday 6kms from city centre. Pm me if you want her to get in touch. She'd be lookin for €100pw and hasn't advertised it yet. Very good transport links if you don't drive and quite close to hewston station.

So far, no joy. Any short term lets seem to be few and far between on Daft. About half of them looking for females only. :(

Same story with Air B&B. Understandably not a lot of them have a free block of time from April to the end of July.

Or else it's a €1,000+ per month. Gah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

Why not book whatever suits even if it is not available for the full time....at least you could look for the next place whilst staying in the first place .

The last time I looked there were places in Dublin on homestay.com in the 20s per night...and did you try rent.ie? Or else you could phone an estate agent in the location you want and explain what you want.

there is also a website for "housesitters" where you get free accommodation in return for feeding/walking pets! I heard about it on the radio a week ago.

Or else do you know anyone in Dublin who could put the word out in their workplace for you? People who dont share might not like to enter a longterm arrangement but might be happy to try you for a month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement