Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Science Mag for Laymen

• 25-02-2015 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I've always had an interest in science, but sadly little aptitude. Any thoughts on the best science magazines for non-scientists who don't want to get left behind?

Best Science Magazine for Laymen 3 votes

New Scientist
    0% 0 votes
    Popular Science
    66% 2 votes
    Discover
    0% 0 votes
    Scientific American
    33% 1 vote
    Other (Please name in comments)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm a fan of the New Scientist. It's my in-flight reading material of choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I only ever buy them at the airport and pick the one with the most interesting feature story.

Focus is another one that's maybe even more for laymen and presented in the usual BBC style, so lots of pictures and diagrams with not as much text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I've never bought the New Scientist, because five years ago an extremely hot PhD student warned me that it was riddled with unscientific nonsense.

I was basically staring at her in awe, so I cannot apprise you of the particulars of her opinion. Just something that has tended to veer me away from that magazine. No idea if it's accurate or not.

These days, I'd tend toward the Scientific American. Mostly in train stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Scientific American tends to be (or used to be anyway) more technical and less lay friendly. Focus is probably the most accessible. New scientist is imo the best of the one's I've read. (I subscribe to it now). There's another that I can't think of which is quite good. Hard to find and even harder to remember!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Focus magazine for me. Love the Q and A section in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 BenAtar

I have tried several science mags, now I subscribe to Focus, recently switching to the online option. Focus is full of interesting, up-to-date articles, photos, videos.....a great mix I must say. The Q & A section is great, Tech Hub (latest electronic gizmos). The writers are top-notch. Articles are very good, nothing turgid or too long. If I had to pick one feature, it would be the amazing photos/videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I should also mention IEEE Spectrum. I think the magazine is only available to IEEE members, but most of the articles are also available online:

http://spectrum.ieee.org

Although a background in engineering is assumed, most of the content is fairly accessible to lay people.

Advertisement